• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VHT Niteshade & Clear marker lenses

splitz

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone used Niteshade on clear marker lenses? If so, then how many coats did you use?

I am using high output LEDs for the lights, so I figure I can do a bit darker than if I were using stock bulbs and lenses.

I've used VHT with good results. Not on clear lenses, or on an XJ...or with LEDs (so how the F is this relavent?!?), but I've used in nonetheless and did a write up on it. Check it out if you want, you might find a tidbit of info that you can use. If you don't care to look, this stuff goes on pretty dark, 2 coats was good enough to black out my orange lenses.
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=538189

I've used VHT with good results. Not on clear lenses, or on an XJ...or with LEDs (so how the F is this relavent?!?),

It is relevant because painting a white surface gives you a truer black color and the led bulbs have a higher lumen output so they will shine brighter through the paint.

but I've used in nonetheless and did a write up on it. Check it out if you want, you might find a tidbit of info that you can use. If you don't care to look, this stuff goes on pretty dark, 2 coats was good enough to black out my orange lenses.
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=538189

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Here is what I do to tint clear markers or any lenses for that matter. I've done this hundreds of times and always turns out great. All you need is the part, a large metal pan that you can fill up with water a cover the peice, a stove and a box of Rit brand dye(the color of you choosing). This will work for any clear plastic as far as I know. I have never tried and not got it to work.

1.) First you need to clean the part I usually use windex or other surface cleaner and clean the part really good.

2.) Next fill the pan up with water and stir in the dye, bring it to a boil.

3.) Place the part in the water dye mixture and keep the water boiling with the part in there.

4.) The longer you boil it the darker it will get but it does take a while. I usually check it in ten minute intervals.

5.) Rinse the part of and let it cool on its own.

Its just that easy. It is a long lasting durable finish that will last for a long time. I smoked the face sheild on my motorcycle helmet, done a bunch of dome lights in cop cars in red. I also done all the lights and lenses on my buddies BMW a few years ago and they still look amazing.

Back