NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 27th, 2015, 22:48
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Projext "V8 XJ" Build

Yea everything I find with trans is $2500+
Old September 27th, 2015, 23:27
NAXJA Forum User

Where are you looking? Should be a few on craigslist or some local forum. I can't imagine paying more than a grand here.
Old September 27th, 2015, 23:34
NAXJA Forum User

Rust country.
Rust country is where you find cheap LS engines. The body & frame disintegrate out from under & around a perfectly good drivetrain as a matter of routine, creating a local glut of hot rod parts.

The LS1 intake will slap right down onto a 5.3, so long as you also use F-body or Corvette accessories, clearing the hood just fine.
Old September 30th, 2015, 13:26
NAXJA Forum User

Radiator will be here Monday!
Old September 30th, 2015, 13:28
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blistovmhz View Post
Where are you looking? Should be a few on craigslist or some local forum. I can't imagine paying more than a grand here.
I'll probably order from ebay. Its just easiest, plus i can get a 6 month warranty on parts
Old September 30th, 2015, 15:04
NAXJA Forum User

Projext "V8 XJ" Build

FWIW - just started following this thread. I have the exact same work bench complete with the 4ft shop light. I mounted a 6-outlet strip in the right vertical to make sure I had enough power sources. I have a 2001 XJ and an LS motor would be a great swap.
Old September 30th, 2015, 15:26
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGuy View Post
FWIW - just started following this thread. I have the exact same work bench complete with the 4ft shop light. I mounted a 6-outlet strip in the right vertical to make sure I had enough power sources. I have a 2001 XJ and an LS motor would be a great swap.
Ohhh. It sooooo is....
Old October 1st, 2015, 11:32
NAXJA Forum User

What do you guys think of this?
http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/121775021314

Worth the extra?? (It would be able to fit under the stock hood and I could mate a 4x4 4l60e to it...
Old October 1st, 2015, 11:37
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared View Post
What do you guys think of this?
http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/121775021314

Worth the extra?? (It would be able to fit under the stock hood and I could mate a 4x4 4l60e to it...
Should work fine. I'd suggest though if you're going with a 4l6xE trans, look for a 4l65e instead of the 4l60e. 65 is a bit beefier. Loads of guys end up swapping 65 parts into their 60 case. Save yourself some time if one happens to show up. They're usually the same price regardless.

Also, with the LS, you don't get the enormous truck intake, so you'll have no excuse for a ridiculous hood scoop. Just sayin' :p.

Actually, there MAY be a case for the truck intake, and that's low end torque. I don't recall the numbers off the top of my head, by I know the LS1 makes less torque below 3500 than the LM7, despite the LM7 being 0.4L smaller. I've no idea if there's a real world, seat of your pants difference or not. Some guys say there is, most say there isn't. I was going to go with the LS intake after I got my LM7 all buttoned up, but after taking it out on the street for the first time, I decided the torque was worth requiring a big scoop. I'll be interested to hear how yours compares off the line when it's finished. What size shoes and gears will you be running?
Old October 1st, 2015, 11:45
NAXJA Forum User

Right now I'm just on 31s with 3.55. I'm be going to 35s and 4.88s eventually
Old October 1st, 2015, 11:46
NAXJA Forum User

Good god. LS XJ with 31's. I wanna see the drift videos.
Old October 1st, 2015, 12:10
NAXJA Forum User

Me too.

The LS1 intake is the worst of the bunch. LS6 intake is better across the board. There's an article you can google search for, I think it was Hot Rod Network that ran a test of 20 LS-style intake manifolds and dyno tested for max torque / max hp / average torque, etc.
Honestly, any LS intake at all is going on an LS engine which, even the lowliest of them, makes 100HP more than you've got now. I'd go with whatever fits your accessory drive, hood & budget requirements.
Old October 1st, 2015, 13:41
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19 View Post
Rust country.
Rust country is where you find cheap LS engines. The body & frame disintegrate out from under & around a perfectly good drivetrain as a matter of routine, creating a local glut of hot rod parts.
Yup, I have buddies up in the New England area that tell me of LS truck motors for a few hundred bucks all the time.
Old October 1st, 2015, 13:57
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veeb0rg View Post
Yup, I have buddies up in the New England area that tell me of LS truck motors for a few hundred bucks all the time.
That'd be my recommendation if OP wants to save $3000 on the build. I couldn't justify buying a crate motor, nor anything from Ebay. $650 for a drivetrain that's only 10 years old is just too good a deal. I believe mine had around 70,000k on it (km, not miles). Took me about 2 weeks to get the swap complete to the point that I could do a test fire. Fired right up with zero hesitation. My entire swap was only around $2500, including the new TW DS's.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 13:15
NAXJA Forum User

ORDERED:
AA Trans to TC adapter
AA SYE
Novak Headers

Remaining to buy/order (not counting the random stuff):
Fuel System (Still figuring out how I want to do this)
Harness Mod/Tune (obviously after I order the engine)
Holly Accessory brackets

Waiting on a few Ebay vendors to get back to me regarding a matching engine/trans combo.