NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old July 28th, 2016, 15:34
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Projext "V8 XJ" Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer32 View Post
Can't you swap wires around on your current relay?
Yea I could, but I'm just using the stock Jeep relay. So opening up and changing the bottom of the relay box is a pain in the ass.
Old July 28th, 2016, 15:45
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared View Post
Yea I could, but I'm just using the stock Jeep relay. So opening up and changing the bottom of the relay box is a pain in the ass.
Yes it is. I took mine apart several times. All the retaining tabs are brittle as hell too. I only broke 1 thankfully.
Old July 28th, 2016, 16:17
NAXJA Forum User

So I don't think just adding the GM fuel level to the jeep one works. Maybe I need what was suggested, but with the jeep off the GM fuel level shows 43%. With the jeep on it shoots to 100% I may just end up doing what clydefrog did and doing a switch on the fuel level with resistors. One side at full tank and the other at half.
Old July 28th, 2016, 16:23
NAXJA Forum User

Is this what I'd need??
150 ohm (for half-ish) tank:
https://www.radioshack.com/products/...ant=5717272389

40 ohm for full tank:
http://www.newark.com/vishay-dale/cw...10w/dp/65K3660
Old July 28th, 2016, 16:29
NAXJA Forum User

I used an aftermarket sender and guage so I'm no help on this one.
Old July 28th, 2016, 17:00
NAXJA Member

I will send you a mock harness with the resistors in it and a switch (replica of mine, I have a ton of extra resistors) if you want. PM me your info. What year is your GM ECU? There were different OHM ratings depending on the year.
Old July 28th, 2016, 17:31
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydefrog View Post
I will send you a mock harness with the resistors in it and a switch (replica of mine, I have a ton of extra resistors) if you want. PM me your info. What year is your GM ECU? There were different OHM ratings depending on the year.
Wow serious? Thanks! I'll PM you my info.

It's a 2005 harness. Off the top of my head it's 40 ohms full 270 empty.

Thanks a lot that's very generous of you.
Old July 29th, 2016, 01:58
NAXJA Forum User

Just wanted to share a quick video:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...VJpSkpqZWVQMjQ
Old July 29th, 2016, 05:47
NAXJA Member # 788

It's been awhile so I'm not 100% sure how I did it, but I am using the Jeep relay to run the fuel pump. I get my trigger from the GM PCM, I'm pretty sure I just brought that over as the ground on the relay. I could be wrong on how I did that, but I am using the Jeep relay without issues.
Old July 29th, 2016, 13:51
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D View Post
It's been awhile so I'm not 100% sure how I did it, but I am using the Jeep relay to run the fuel pump. I get my trigger from the GM PCM, I'm pretty sure I just brought that over as the ground on the relay. I could be wrong on how I did that, but I am using the Jeep relay without issues.
I grabbed the brown wire coming out of the C3 at the PCM. that's the fuel pump relay wire. The GM gives power though and the Jeep triggers on negative.
Old July 29th, 2016, 13:51
NAXJA Forum User

Gas tank is mounted up!
Old July 29th, 2016, 14:34
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
I grabbed the brown wire coming out of the C3 at the PCM. that's the fuel pump relay wire. The GM gives power though and the Jeep triggers on negative.
yup, my plan was to ground the jeep relat wire and send the gm signal to the 12v switched side of the relay
Old July 29th, 2016, 17:06
NAXJA Forum User

So weird issue is back again.

I hook the GM fuse box into a relay. I trigger the relay with the battery. Everything works. Pedal works. Jeep actually runs pretty well.

Hook the same relay trigger into the jeep coil power wire. I get no pedal. I found out why. The coil wire is triggered using the ASD relay.

Now same thing again but the trigger is hooked into the cig lighter power wire. I get pedal now, but no spark.

Weird issue. Again if I hook the relay trigger directly to the battery it works perfectly.

Suggestions?
Old July 30th, 2016, 13:05
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
So weird issue is back again.

I hook the GM fuse box into a relay. I trigger the relay with the battery. Everything works. Pedal works. Jeep actually runs pretty well.

Hook the same relay trigger into the jeep coil power wire. I get no pedal. I found out why. The coil wire is triggered using the ASD relay.

Now same thing again but the trigger is hooked into the cig lighter power wire. I get pedal now, but no spark.

Weird issue. Again if I hook the relay trigger directly to the battery it works perfectly.

Suggestions?
I know I'm quoting myself on this, but is there a keyed ignition that stays on with the key in the "run" and "start" position? I wonder if the coil and cig lighter relays I tried are somehow not functioning in the "start" position.

If they're not i'm just going to run a switch to the battery and any time I turn on the jeep I'll flip the switch to start up the GM PCM. It'll basically be an ignition switch...

I know it should run off an ignition positive source but I just can't figure out why. The guy who did my wiring harness just said "it must be an issue with the Jeep wiring". Thanks dude.

**EDIT - I wonder if there's a key+ that powers up the Jeep ECU. I'll have to check if that wire would work to trigger the GM fuse box.

Last edited by PhotoJared; July 30th, 2016 at 13:37.
Old August 1st, 2016, 23:52
NAXJA Forum User

*facepalm*. I just looked at the ignition switch wiring. I didn't even realize it was in the manual. I can't believe I missed it. So fuse 8 at the junction box is a spare fuse and is on with run and start. So I ordered some mini fuse taps and we should be all good.

Man do I feel stupid