NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 20th, 2015, 08:55
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Projext "V8 XJ" Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared View Post
Trying to work out how to mount everything. There's not a whole lot of space and I don't think I want to block the end tank. I'm going to start by getting the radiator mounted. Then I'll worry about the cooler.

...or I could mount it ghetto style...
This is hilarious. That is exactly the radiator and trans cooler I have. The rad I foolishly bought from Griffin, with the shroud and fan, which cost an extra $500 for, and their fan is garbage (I think it's like 1800CFM). What a colossal waste of money, considering that radiator assembly was the single most expensive component in my swap. Had I just got a naked rad, I'd have had the swap completed for under $2000 :|.

You've got the exact same stack/plate trans cooler as well, but I found mine in a junk yard for $20, just sorta at random.

I can tell you with fair certainty that if you mount the trans cooler in front of the rad, or right where you have it pictured, your motor will definitely have no cooling issues, while the trans may struggle under extreme circumstances (unless there's just something wrong with my trans). I plan on moving mine exactly how yours is, so I can throw on a second fan behind it.

Make sure you block off the grill on the passenger side. Makes a massive difference in cooling.

I'm also interested to know if you need to cut out your hood to keep the underhood temps down. When I was up the mountain a few days ago, after 2 hours of hard wheeling, we got to the lookout around 10pm and I sat on the hood. Hood barely warm, but my hood vents were too hot to touch comfortably . They're doing their job.

Last edited by blistovmhz; October 20th, 2015 at 09:25.
Old October 20th, 2015, 19:54
NAXJA Forum User

My hood already has hood vents installed so I think I'll be good on cooling. I'll still have to cut the hood for the intake, but I'll cross that bridge later.

Got my fuel pump!

Need to get the headers painted and installed so I can finally finish up with getting everything together.

I don't really have much left:
Paint and install headers
Figure out and Install oil temp sensor
Figure out and install coolant temp sensor
Install fuel pump
Send out harness and ecu
Install transmission to engine then transfer case to transmission
Figure out transmission mount
Figure out power steering lines (I have a hudroboost pump. I know I can cap one line and run the other to the power steering box, but it doesn't have a fitting)

In thinking of tuning out the EVAP and seeing if I can pass smog. If it doesn't work then I'll install the EVAP system.
Old October 20th, 2015, 23:44
NAXJA Forum User

Does anyone have a Winters/Art Carr shifter? I can't seem to find posts in an XJ. I'd like to retain the stock console and just put the shifter on top of it. I need to take out the center console to see if it would actually fit because the cable for the trans comes out the back of the shifter rather than the front...
Old October 21st, 2015, 06:59
NAXJA Member

I have a few on the shelf. The Winters shifters are large and I wouldn't try to mount one to the stock console. I want the shifter moved back to allow easier reach to the shifter. The stock location is terrible.
Old October 21st, 2015, 08:12
NAXJA Forum User

I don't know what the smog program in nevada is like but I really can't imagine they'd pass you without EVAP. Without EGR.. maybe if they just do a tailpipe test - maybe... but EVAP is pretty basic. I'd just hook it up to begin with.
Old October 21st, 2015, 10:02
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19 View Post
I don't know what the smog program in nevada is like but I really can't imagine they'd pass you without EVAP. Without EGR.. maybe if they just do a tailpipe test - maybe... but EVAP is pretty basic. I'd just hook it up to begin with.
In NV, I think we can have one monitor unchecked. So I'll install all O2 sensors and hope that it'll work. I'm obd2
Old October 22nd, 2015, 00:30
NAXJA Forum User

Finally got my scope in...rings are a little low for my eye. I'll try them out before I actually replace them.

Need to go get zero and get them leveled
Old October 22nd, 2015, 00:35
NAXJA Forum User

So here's what I'm doing for the fuel tank. There'll be washers and some gaskets in between the nuts.

The punch is where the fuel pump module "cap" will sit. So I'm going to use the nut to tighten every thing down. I'll have two of these. One supply and one return. Hope it works!

In waiting to drop the fuel tank because I want to get the engine in the bay. To get the engine in i need to figure out oil ten and coolant temp sensors.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 01:20
NAXJA Forum User

Ordered some Autofab hood pins. This way I don't have to deal with the center hood latch.
http://autofab.com/i-9943227-autofab...ith-leash.html
Old October 22nd, 2015, 02:06
NAXJA Forum User

Yep so I need to get the engine, trans, and transfer case in the bay.

I realized I can't do much more without it in. I don't want to cut my AN lines because I may have to run them in different ways. I can't mount my radiator because I may have to adjust for clearance.

The only thing I can really do is the pedal, I'm going to start that tomorrow.

Just ordered a 3/8" NTP and 1/8" NTP taps and associated drill bits

Last edited by PhotoJared; October 22nd, 2015 at 02:27.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 14:24
NAXJA Forum User

Tank is out!
Old October 22nd, 2015, 15:16
NAXJA Forum User

So this is how I'm doing the AN fittings. They'll connect to the Walbro 255. I'll have a second one for a return.
I'm going to shave a little off the inside mounting surface so it can be a higher. The 90 an fitting isn't quite seating properly

I think this may been a fueling issue.....um yea
Old October 23rd, 2015, 14:15
NAXJA Forum User

So is I normal to have only 5/8" of travel in the pedal at this point?

My pedal is going to be super short. I guess it'll just be really sensitive
Old October 23rd, 2015, 14:31
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared View Post
So is I normal to have only 5/8" of travel in the pedal at this point?

My pedal is going to be super short. I guess it'll just be really sensitive
Give us more pictures of the entire assembly, and tell us where you're measuring travel from. You'll get 1mm travel if you measure right at the pivot :p.

The travel on mine (same pedal as yours, with about 2-3" of the arm cut off) is only slightly less than the stock XJ pedal. I much prefer the fly-by-wire pedal assembly.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 15:14
NAXJA Member # 788

Hardly any travel on mine, it's not overly sensitive.