• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'88 v8 xj-- Double din Nav install + knob style '96 HVAC contorls

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
got a bug up my rear a few months ago to install a DD nav unit in my '88 Xj.

If you're familiar with the pre 96 dash layout, you know this is a pain --- to get it to fit, I had to remove the vent, move the HVAC controls down, and heavily modify the vents and the plumbing behind the unit. To boot, the standard "slider" hvac controls are so deep, they hit one of the vaccum actuated doors that switches from vents to defrost. So, I had to remove the door.. and had no vent A/C

which was fine, until I came across this link: How to replace early XJ AC control sliders with 97+ dials - NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association
I didn't know this, but the '96 and '96 hvac controls have a mechanical blend door just like my '88, but have a knob layout, and are inches shorter... which would JUST clear the vent door.

So, after many, many hours with a soldering iron and comparing various factory service manuals (in the post above, john used colors from a '93 xj... colors on the '88 are all different, so had to convert a bit), and wrangling with the dash, and installing five relays in the glovebox, here's the outcome.... to be honest, I like the look of the sliders better, but I now have working heat and AC from defrost, floor, AND vents:

20kqbg4.jpg

2hxr4ph.jpg

2m3iid5.jpg

If you're thinking of doing this, feel free to pm me. Now that I've gone through it, it's nice having nav and hd radio and Pandora on a nice screen, but I probably wouldn't have done it if I knew how much work it was. John (the guy that figured out the wiring in the above post) really saved me hours and hours of time figuring out wire mappings and vacuum line mappings. And I still need to futz with it -- it sits a bit too high, but it is such a pain to line everything up just right to get it to fit.

anyway, let me know what you think.

do you have any pics of this before you put the dash cover back on?
this is exactly what im looking to do..
install 97+ center console
install 97+ heater controls
delete dash vent and instal hvac controls there
install double din radio.
but I think im wanting to install my cobra 29 where you have your gauges.
below the ashtray, with the newer center install there is a nice gap.
so i figured putting my CB there would be fit. but not sure on measurements yet.

I heard you can convert them. I wouldn't mind. There is a link to the write up in the original post. This thread mentions a V8 but never shows it.

Not sure about your info, as I have a 96, and I have sliders, not dials.

Probably meant 97-up as far as HVAC controls.

yea, mine is a 94. with the slider hvac control.
would like to put the 97+ knob controls in.
but put them into the center dash vent.
then install a dbl din nav unit.

yea, mine is a 94. with the slider hvac control.
would like to put the 97+ knob controls in.
but put them into the center dash vent.
then install a dbl din nav unit.

well, I've done it. as you can see, looks great, but this is a royal pita. If I was doing it again, I'd recommend against it, and just do a pull-out screen.

Not sure about your info, as I have a 96, and I have sliders, not dials.

96 was a change over. early 96s have sliders. Later 96 and 97s had knobs. All were mechanical. 98 on were knobs also, but were
electronic.

OI may be off a tad on the years, the point is if you want to change from sliders to knobs, there really were only two (less than two) years they made them with a mechanical temp cable.

I heard you can convert them. I wouldn't mind. There is a link to the write up in the original post. This thread mentions a V8 but never shows it.

search on my name, there's about six other posts with pictures of my 350.

anyway, here's a pic:
2hpsy2g.jpg

Last edited:
Which headers or manifolds are you running on yours? Any pics of them mounted?

novak. Pain to install. If I was going to do it over again, I'd just go with manifolds.

I think they're shorty corvette headers, but I bought them almost 10 years ago. I'll take a pic tomorrow.

not to hijack my own thread (which is about DD install--) but here are shots of my headers. I think they're great, but any header in that small engine bay is going to be a pita to install.... and for the hp gains, I think decent manifolds would work just as well...

35bgj86.jpg

2ba6gn.jpg

16i8wg1.jpg

Top, and it was a PITA. Guess I got all the luck :)

Anyway, thanks for all the comments on my double din nav install !!! :compwork:

Your dash looks sweet but that's work than I'm willing to do on mine. I have a flip out that I might install in mine at some point.

That's what I recommend, after having gone through this. Not worth the work. Now after putting everything back together, one of the vaccum actuated doors is off the track (the one directly behind the newly relocated hvac controls), and air is just dribbling out of the vents.

I *Have* seen others install the DD *without* moving the hvac controls... it's a tight fit, and basically you'd have no bezel around the DD, but I hated the way it looked.

the pre '96's were not just not meant for DD's ...

Back