• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Valve body gasket question

markaboo929

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to be installing the HD2 shift kit into my 96 AW4 2 wheel drive.I had purchased a vavle body gasket set and had some speculations on the application,it is kinda confusing.My question is has anyone installed this kit and if they had pics of the vb gaskets.The gasket kit has except JEEP 85-86 then has JEEP 87-94 after that.I am going with a drill size in between the truck and hot rod settings btw .Truck is .076 and hot rod is .093 I am going to use a #44 drill size .086

http://www.oregonperformancetransmission.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NTP-K72900-3

link is gasket kit.

Last edited:
We had our first trans done in between, and our 2nd done hot rod.

Just go all out hotrod now. You'll regret it if you won't, and it still doesnt shift hard.. just less like its trying to find the gear.

Also, if you're going through it, keep using the factory solenoids. Don't replace them with aftermarket ones. With the extra pressure generated by the shift kit, the aftermarket solenoids will pop open and cause surprise downshifts. OEM ones (even 300k mile junkyard ones) do not and work great.

We sent the transmission on 4643 back about 6 times before they figured out that was our problem with it. Racing on junkyard solenoids now.

I was debating with hot rod settings.It is going in a 2 WD with my stroker in it.I think I'll go "Hot Rod" Yes i agree on JY stuff.I actually prefer JY prts instead of new after market stuff.Just to much garbage out now a days.I have JY solenoids going in from a 2000 Xj that had 97k on the speedo from JY.I did email the trans company and they said that set was wrong so they are sending me a second set K72900C-3 to make sure I got the correct ones.They told me 18 diff VB gaskets exist for the AW4/340 !!

I was debating with hot rod settings.It is going in a 2 WD with my stroker in it.I think I'll go "Hot Rod" Yes i agree on JY stuff.I actually prefer JY prts instead of new after market stuff.Just to much garbage out now a days.I have JY solenoids going in from a 2000 Xj that had 97k on the speedo from JY.I did email the trans company and they said that set was wrong so they are sending me a second set K72900C-3 to make sure I got the correct ones.They told me 18 diff VB gaskets exist for the AW4/340 !!

Yeah that's crazy about the VB gaskets, I bought a kit with way too many just to use one set. Some were so close that it really took some looking to make sure all the holes were right.

I've rebuilt plenty of GM transmissions...T350,T400 700R4,4l80E etc... Heck I can make a T350 shift hard as hell by just leaving out "certain" parts :) This one looks like a piece o cake.

Well I got the correct gaskets this morning.I went with the hot rod options....go hot rod they said...um :rolleyes: yeah it shifts kinda normal-ish when I grandma take off.When I drive it normal it shifts pretty hard 2nd and 3rd.Getting on the throttle down about half way it gets very interesting... the tires chirpped 2nd and 3rd was very hard like if it had a 25hp shot of nitrous and lundged forward!That was just a quick test drive.I'll have to see how it drives during the day,deffinitely gotta get used to it.

Interesting thread! I have one of these kits sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. I'm still trying to decide if I should go truck or hot rod. This thing is a daily driver 1st, then camping/hunting.

Update...the accumulators have settled in and after driving for a couple days I am happy with it.It does shift hard though.Sometimes it locks my seatbelt when it does.:spin1:It will chirp when I get into the throttle a bit from 1-2 which I do enjoy.When I was younger I had a 1980 Olds cutlass with a 1970 455 "Rocket" 4brl that would lay 5 ft slabs when it shifted :)

Back