• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 2.5 no spark or fuel pump

Truckedup

NAXJA Forum User
I looked at a solid 1987 Comanche for sale today. It's a 4x4 5 speed 2.5 engine. Engine turned over but no start. I don't hear the fuel pump when the ignition is turned on...And there was no spark to the plugs....
This can be a simple thing like a coil and pump relay... or a computer failure?
These Comanches are kinda rare and I hate to pass it up.It's been sitting outside for a while so there could be weather related electronics issues..The price reflects the solid body... But I don't need a money pit...Thanks

My guess would be cps or maybe check the c101 connection. Dont pass up a good buy. I had an 88 2.5 auto 4x4 a couple years ago. Came stock with 4.56 gears. Yours should have 4.10.

If you run into troubleshooting issues, I can loan you the factory wiring manual. It's not hard to troubleshoot.

If it is at an auction, check to make sure someone didn't pull the rotor to scare away the competition.

I looked at a solid 1987 Comanche for sale today. It's a 4x4 5 speed 2.5 engine. Engine turned over but no start. I don't hear the fuel pump when the ignition is turned on...And there was no spark to the plugs....
This can be a simple thing like a coil and pump relay... or a computer failure?
These Comanches are kinda rare and I hate to pass it up.It's been sitting outside for a while so there could be weather related electronics issues..The price reflects the solid body... But I don't need a money pit...Thanks

2.5 doesn't "pressure up" it's fuel system like 4.0s so don't let that scare you.

CPS is a real possibility. Wiggle the C101 and unplug the cPS and plug it back in.

Note from DJ
It has a manual transmission that means that it has a hydraulic clutch system.
There is push rod which is attached to the clutch pedal that activates the clutch master cylinder when the clutch pedal is depressed; if the clutch master cylinder has leaked or is leaking this rod is located directly over the fuse panel under the dash. This will cause hydraulic brake fluid to drip onto the fuse panel, which raises havoc with the wiring and connectors in the fuse panel. This is something else to have a look at or watch for if you acquire this Comanche.

Back