• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Frostbite

KPTHEMP

That's Me
NAXJA Member
And so, another adventure begins. Not too long ago, back in February during an ice storm I picked up this little gem, an 1989 MJ 2wd, 4cyl, 4spd with A/C for cheap (wasn't running due to a leaky gas tank that had been removed).

a>

a>

YEA! You go boy! Get-er done and bring it to the crawl! I'd like to see this one!

Dragged it home, Temp fixed the tank and drove it around for a bit. Then Andy picked up a sweet parts XJ, matching color and I couldn't pass up the deal, so we drove to SC to pickup some parts. After a while of driving it around, the lack of power steering, No A/C charge, No radio, No power outlet, rain leaking in had finally pushed the project into overdrive.

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

Which brings us to currently, drove the MJ into the garage for the last time under squirrel power, and started the tear down...

a>

pulled out the bench seat:
a>

Found a Build Sheet tucked away under the seat:
a>

Pulled up the mat, rusted from the inside out, only surface rust on the pass side:
a>

a>

out with the old:
a>

a>

cut away the cancer:
a>

cut a section of donor floor:
a>

rough test fit:
a>

Got the donor floor welded in today, cleaned up some also welded the pass seat bracket in and laid some seam sealer. (note, last time the seat bracket was too far forward, creating less leg room, driver seat bracket is now in the stock XJ location and the passenger is about one inch to the rear of the stock XJ location)

a>

a>

a>

Thanks !

Looking to get this one done asap, as I am currently in the middle of 2 builds and without my own transportation (sharing the wife's XJ).

Managed to lay some POR-15 today, waiting on sound deadener material to arrive, first shipment got lost

a>

worked on the firewall, HVAC and dash mounting points today, also pulled the windshield

a>

a>

a>

a>

Got it pushed out side today and power washed the engine compartment, not much of an improvement but a clean surface to paint at least.

a>

all painted up:
a>

pushed it back inside and laid some Noico 80mil sound deadener
a>

got some of the base components installed; fuse block, pedals, shifters
a>

Made a lot of progress yesterday, got the HVAC installed, engine wiring, 6cyl motor brackets, fully bolted in the 4.5 Stroker engine/trans/tcase, exhaust and dash

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

Installed the steering column, replaced broken p/s res and temp sensor, installed wiper motor, compartment wiring, carpet, doors and fenders today, threw on the header panel for a pic. Going to make a JY run and grab a few parts tomorrow.

a>

a>

a>

Hmmm, that's something I was thinking about the other day. My trail Jeep's wipers don't work. I have 5 late model wiper motors. I wonder how difficult it'd be to swap one of those into my 93 and wire it to a separate switch on high. I need to replace my windshield too.

Back