• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaf spring bushing questions.

shawnhancel

NAXJA Forum User
Installing my bushing into the new OME 3 inch springs I bent the sleeve on one of the bushings. I noticed it seems softer and porous, but is this for wear? Im asking cause I have the equipment at my disposal to turn down some stainless steel. Or is it that material for a reason?

Foggy memory on this one. Sleeves might have been made with bronze, or brass in the past for leaf spring eyes, and of course, other special applications. Seems that synthetic sleeves are also being used, but I have no info. as per. Steel sleeves on the other hand will most likely rust, and 'freeze' to the 'eye' to frame/chassis bolt. Seems that's what is often used now-a-days.., as the stories of removing them are fraught with expletives. Been there, done that.

I see no reason why you cannot use stainless steel sleeve. It just 'rusts-less', i.e., stains less, lol.

Many will use a graphite impregnated bearing grease in which to provide a protective layer between the inner wall of the sleeve, and the bolt. The idea there is to leave a small amount of graphite long after the grease has been lost in order to provide the aforementioned protection against mating.

How in the world did you bend a sleeve? AND--Who made your bushing/sleeve, and where did you get 'em? Inquiring minds.., blah, blah, blah.

What kind of bushings are you using? I used Moog bushings when I installed my OME leafs in the fall. It would take a lot to bend the sleeve on them during a routine install. Basically you just need to get it start straight and the eye widens just enough that you can press or hammer the bushings in. You should be able to do it with a rubber mallet. Coating the sleeve with sliding fluid or liquid dish soap helps.

I tried hammering them in, want working so I took them to work and put them in an Drake Arbor press that's massive and didn't have the sleeve lined up good. Just caught the edge of the press platform and bent the shit out of it. I went with factory replacement bushings, I'll just go buy another and knock the sleeve out. Thanks

I tried pushing a pin punch though to straighten it out. Even the machinist at work decided it couldn't be straightened out.

Back