• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Rudolph

XJ_Rudolph

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Everybody! I started my first ever jeep build a few weeks ago, a 1998 XJ Classic that is chili pepper red. It has the 4L I6 auto tranny and NP231 T-case. I am installing an Iron Rock Offroad 5.5in long arm lift with DT8000 shocks and an SYE. I will be getting 33x12.5 on 15x8 rims. Iv got a ton of stuff planed for her to get her ready to run the rubicon this summer! Here are my build pics so far!
IMG_6768_zps312e51a3.jpg

IMG_6752_zps62c7ca99.jpg

IMG_6758_zpsa8661212.jpg

IMG_6583_zps6373fff4.jpg

IMG_6596_zps622b1b17.jpg

IMG_6605_zps977720be.jpg

IMG_7087_zps7680b608.jpg

IMG_7094_zps98f38482.jpg

IMG_7309_zps6107f4ed.jpg

IMG_7335_zps3c6684fd.jpg

IMG_7481_zps51a60c2a.jpg

IMG_7498_zpsfae68314.jpg

Better photos of it all lifted will be coming soon! Also, if you are in the bay area, or tahoe area (CA) and want to wheel or just talk about builds hit me up.

I'm digging that headliner man! Looks good! Yeah get sliders ASAP even bolt on ones are better than nothing.

welcome dude

Right now im running her on a front drive shaft only to test everything, and she wont shift out of 4wd :( I am most likely going to be dropping the Tcase again today. I will be posting pictures later of what happens!

Probably just need to adjust the linkage. I know on last years Reno Fest, 831_XJ and I both had problems getting out of 4wd after flexing on the RTI ramp. I also had issues after flexing on a concrete barrier too back in Sac later. I'm planning on fixing mine by installing Boostedworks t-case linkage in when I swap my new 231 for my 242. try driving in reverse for a bit with the lever in 2wd to see if it will disengage.

Probably just need to adjust the linkage. I know on last years Reno Fest, 831_XJ and I both had problems getting out of 4wd after flexing on the RTI ramp. I also had issues after flexing on a concrete barrier too back in Sac later. I'm planning on fixing mine by installing Boostedworks t-case linkage in when I swap my new 231 for my 242. try driving in reverse for a bit with the lever in 2wd to see if it will disengage.

I disconnected the linkage and tried to actuate it manually but still nothing happened. I havent driven in reverse for more than about 10 feet with it in 2wd trying to get it into 2wd. The SYE I installed has a port that you can open to see the shift yolk rod, and when i put it into 2wd the rod does not move and also the rod looks crooked in the hole, so im thinking that at some point in my rebuild it unseated itself and it needs to get seated back into the hole at the bottom of the tcase.

Let me know if you think that it is possible for it to get unseated from the hole at the bottom of the tcase

Got some better photos of the jeep with the lift this morning while trying to get the tcase to shift into 2wd. Still no luck there :(
FA58A8C6-9E76-4D3F-AED2-6ECA34A2E16F_zpsqmlq0mce.jpg

4BB83CCA-6373-4141-8A75-B04378A54144_zpsp8u7y7i4.jpg

If you guys want specific pics of any of the lift parts let me know ill be glad to shoot them and post them!

In reno, We both had to drive backwards for what seemed like a 1/4 mile. When it happened to me again back home, I had to drive backwards for 500-800 feet for it to finally disengage. Both times we were using 4wd on the street flexing out so idk.

In reno, We both had to drive backwards for what seemed like a 1/4 mile. When it happened to me again back home, I had to drive backwards for 500-800 feet for it to finally disengage. Both times we were using 4wd on the street flexing out so idk.

hmmm ok. I just tested it and a drove backwards the length of my street (average court size) and nothing happened. My problem could also be because im not running a rear drive shaft right now, there isnt enough resistance on the rear yolk for it to disengage?

In your case, would the lever go into 2wd but the tcase wouldn't?

Exactly, Lever was in 2wd but the case wouldn't shift and my Part time light was still on.

Exactly, Lever was in 2wd but the case wouldn't shift and my Part time light was still on.

My lever goes into 2wd, light turns off (i think :/ ) but it wont shift. Im going to try lowering the tcase a little, because i think i pushed it up higher under the body than factory and that could be causing some issues.

Are you actually going to trim your stock LCA mounts off the frame? If not, you will not have much uptravel.

Are you actually going to trim your stock LCA mounts off the frame? If not, you will not have much uptravel.

Yes I am cutting them off today. On the passenger side I only have about 1in of up travle before it hits on the control arm.

wow, those iro longarms sure hang down low!
try installing the rear shaft before you pull the t-case back apart.
look into the boostworks linkage kit, it is super simple compared to the insanely complex factory shit linkage.

wow, those iro longarms sure hang down low!
try installing the rear shaft before you pull the t-case back apart.
look into the boostworks linkage kit, it is super simple compared to the insanely complex factory shit linkage.

Thats what im going to do, mostly out of sheer laziness. And I will look into it right now thanks man!

Ya I just installed the boostworks linkage a week or so ago. Works really nice and is quality.

Were you having issues shifting before?

Back