NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 6th, 2014, 23:25
NAXJA Forum User

Project Florida Crawler 2

so, i decided to start a new project.

originally was going to be a new body with all my old running gear, but a few things have changed.

first up, the new chassis. i probably paid a little to much for it. but i liked it.

it is a 2000 limited, 2wd with an Aw4. motor ended up having a cracked piston.

overall in decent condition, just needs some cleanup.

a big goal for this jeep will be to keep the interior clean and comfortable for my family to wheel with and for it to be enjoyable to drive to and from the trails(leather,AC, music, all that fancy stuff). along with performing daily driver duties.
Old December 6th, 2014, 23:26
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Project Florida Crawler 2

stripped out the motor and trans.

This jeep will be converted to a AX-15, so all the auto parts need to go!
Old December 6th, 2014, 23:27
NAXJA Forum User

I sold my NP231 with an SYE, and worked out a deal to buy a new case

it is a NP231/ dana 300 doubler . it used the D&D machine kit.

For those not familiar with a doubler. here are some advantages to it.
First, gear choices.

normal NP231 only has one low range (2.72:1)

this doubler offers
-2.62 low range
-2.72 low range
-7.13 in double low range
so i can put it in normal low range for obstacles where i need some wheel speed, or in Low low for the slower more technical climbs.

other advantages are that the d300 is twinsticked , so 2wd low and front digs are also possible now. there will be 3 case shifters in the cab. 1 for the 231 and 2 for the d300

i tore the cases down to clean and inspect.
Old December 6th, 2014, 23:27
NAXJA Forum User

so. the original plan was for me to re-use my built 44/8.8 combo. but, a deal was made with a buddy and I'm the proud owner of these.

93 Ford HP60. has 35spline inners and 30 spline outers, WFO truss, 5.38's, and a spool

rear FF 14b, has a truss and will get 5.38's and a grizzly locker, and one day down the road it will get a full shave.
Old December 6th, 2014, 23:32
NAXJA Forum User

also picked up some new wheels. just some 17x9 pro comp steelies. will get weld on beadlocks a little down the road.[IMG]http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i425/sfrautomotive/00xj/CAM00220_zps***ihazi.jpg[/IMG]

got some frame stiffeners from ruffstuff, still need to get the front and rear.

tore into the motor from the other jeep. replaced the head with a freshly gone through head along with all the lifters and pushrods, and cleaned all the debris from the block.

stripped the interior out to check out the floors and start making room of the cases.

cut out a big section of the passenger side, and still need to cut out some of the driver side.
Old December 6th, 2014, 23:35
NAXJA Forum User

and thats pretty much caught up for now.
I need to finish a blue xj truggy thing thats taking up my spot in the shop, and wait for the ORI's to finally show up
Old December 7th, 2014, 06:17
RRC Treasurer

Spool for daily driver duties?
1999 Limited 4.0, AW4, NP242w/Tom Woods HD SYE, trussed dana 30, 8.25w/ZJ discs, OME/JKS/DPG 4" upness, JK take off wheels, Spectre cowl intake, Genright 30 gallon fuel tank, ARB Bull Bar with Warn M8000, JCR Rear Adventure Tire Carrier, WJ knuckles with DOM steering, Black Magic brakes all around

Still need to: truss, shave, relocate shock mounts on the 8.25; Regear with selectable lockers; 2x6 rockers, belly skids, rewire "stereo" ...
Old December 7th, 2014, 06:37
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv83vettes View Post
its in the frt, with he hubs unlocked it dosnt matter
Old December 7th, 2014, 07:04
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv83vettes View Post
Yea, just the front is a spool, rear will be a grizzly. Id rather have an arb in the rear, but it way out of the budget
Old December 7th, 2014, 07:09
RRC Treasurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBZ95Xj View Post
its in the frt, with he hubs unlocked it dosnt matter

Forgot about lockout hubs. Makes sense.
1999 Limited 4.0, AW4, NP242w/Tom Woods HD SYE, trussed dana 30, 8.25w/ZJ discs, OME/JKS/DPG 4" upness, JK take off wheels, Spectre cowl intake, Genright 30 gallon fuel tank, ARB Bull Bar with Warn M8000, JCR Rear Adventure Tire Carrier, WJ knuckles with DOM steering, Black Magic brakes all around

Still need to: truss, shave, relocate shock mounts on the 8.25; Regear with selectable lockers; 2x6 rockers, belly skids, rewire "stereo" ...
Old December 8th, 2014, 08:42
NAXJA Forum User

Cool project. Will be following...
Old December 17th, 2014, 21:26
NAXJA Forum User

been tinkering with it here and there. only have tiny bits of time during the week at the moment to make progress.

slowly piecing the engine together. still need to make some little brackets to hold the coil rail to the valve cover. but its coming along.

my wheels showed up. nothing special just 17x9 pro comp steelies with 4" BS. down the road ill do some weld on deadlocks. but they'll do for now[IMG]http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i425/sfrautomotive/00xj/CAM00220_zps***ihazi.jpg[/IMG]

and the spool showed up for the 60.

and since I'm converting this thing to an AX15, it means i needed to swap out the pedal assembly. for some crazy reason i figured that the older pedal assemblies would work in the 97+ jeep. so i bought the first one i came across.

i was wrong. while the fire wall mounting holes are the same, the upper dash mounting is completely different.

so instead of just tracking down a late model one (which is turning out to be pretty rare) i decided to make it work. plan is to splice the two together. i cut the early model one up to get the clutch assembly piece and welded it to the late model one. and i swapped over the brake and clutch pedals to the new assembly

still need to add a couple small plates so i can weld the two together in a couple other spots that don't quite line up right. like the top since i cut a little bit to far. and i need to modify the brake switch mount since the 5 speed brake pedal doesn't line up like the auto brake pedal to the switch. but the way it is now will be good enough to mock up and make sure everything works.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 19:39
NAXJA Forum User

finished mounting up all the clutch stuff, ended up being more of a pain in the ass than i thought. there were no mounting holes in the fire wall so i needed to drill those. and it was a pain to get the new modified pedal assembly back in the jeep.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 19:40
NAXJA Forum User

and i pulled out the tcase, completely sealed it up and finished cutting the floorboard for it to all fit with my crossmember. everything fits up nice and tight above the frame rails. i "may" have to pull it back out and clock the case down slightly. i won't know until i have the axle and front suspension in the jeep.

also, my original plan was to just run some stick shifters for all 3 shifters. but now I've been considering cable shifters so i can have all 3 shifters in the factory location and make it look a little cleaner. so well see
Old January 7th, 2015, 21:13
NAXJA Forum User

This is awesome!