• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting...doors on or off?

NCCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I'm planning on painting my jeep in the summer. Rolling on thinned monstaliner with smoother rollers. Question is should I pull the doors off and roll them or leave them on the jeep? Doors are already removable so that's not a problem. I'm thinking since I'm rolling it will be easier with then lying flat on my saw horses. I'm planning on pulling all the trim, door handles, locks, and windshield and rear quarter windows.

Same question for the hood.

7a874459b39163c72c798319b3fc8aa0.jpg

Well I painted with doors on. It's road rash monstaliner. Will let it cure overnight then start putting it back together over the next week. Bumpers/rockers and other misc crap is same color as the wheels.

Leave them on. Just tape off the jams. It is much easier to paint with the panels on and you don't have to move to several different areas to paint. Plus, you want to paint the panels how they normally hang/lay. Hood should be horizontal, doors vertical, etc.

Yeah it's already done...

Monstaliner was easy to use, I did the interior floor last year. I tried to thin it and roll it with smoother rollers for less texture like a guy on the jeepforum thread did. However the smoother rollers really didn't work well, and wouldn't hold enough paint. Also had a ton of clumps despite mixing, which was more noticeable with the smoother rollers.

I switched back to the regular monstaliner rollers. I strained all the remaining coats, I think a must.

I did a few things with the future in mind. Eventually there will be a cage and I would like to weld it to the gutter, so the gutters are just spray paint so that it's easier to remove to weld later. Also sprayed the rocker panels because I plan to do rocker replacements. I did remove the door seals and tape off the jambs and sprayed with a similarly colored tractor enamel so that I didn't have the red paint showing. It's not as bright as the monsta but you barely see it unless up really close.

Just have a few more pieces to bolt back on and it's done

Back