• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bent leaf springs

Porch951

NAXJA Forum User
A few years ago i picked up some IRO leaf springs that were "lightly" used. A few days ago a buddy pointed out that they are bent on one side (see pics). I don't wheel my rig very hard these days, so it's possible they were this way when i bought them...

My question is, what causes this? Is it something a spring shop can repair, or am I stuck with getting replacements?

The only thing i could think of is that they were reversed too far, but I can't imagine actually getting enough flex out of them to do this (they're pretty solid, or so i thought). I am properly bump-stopped in the rear, but who knows about the last guy.

ZrQskHG.jpg

PxVpi1e.jpg

Go to the IRO website and look at the leaf spring pictures. They are similar to military wrap leaf springs. I see nothing radically wrong/different with your springs, but they do show a tiny amount of sag in the main leaf at the spring bushing. A good spring shop can re-arch those or replace the saggy leaves.

In the first picture, compare the close leaf (driver side) to the far leaf and you will see what i mean (sorry for the large pictures). It appears that main leaf is bent where the leaf below it contacts it, and that the second leaf is also slightly bent downwards.

I've probably been driving with it like this for years, so i'm not hugely concerned. Just curious.

Edit: Maybe this image will help:
EMZuYWP.jpg

Last edited:
A slight bend is present. My Rubicon Express leaf springs are starting to sag near the bushing, but they have been on numerous local 4x4 outings and have seen 3 or 4 NAXJA Fall Fling events in Moab.

Stop by the local spring shop and see what they say. I would simply watch the springs and carry on.

Thanks. I emailed IRO and it looks like I am out of luck with regards to warranty (i bought them used).

I went through older pictures and found "un-bent" pictures so i guess this has happened while i've had them. I'm not worried about it but i guess we can safely conclude that IRO's leafs sag just like RE's (which is what i was hoping to avoid by spending more).

I actually bent my stock leafs with the relocation brackets. In my opinion this happens because the leaf is allowed to flatten out more with a good shackle angle. Mine were way worse and I didn't have any major issues for a year or so like that.
They were bent so bad that there was a gap between my full length add a leafs. I agree with Tim, keep an eye on them and drive it.

I wouldn't keep driving on a leaf that was bent that much. That puppy's on its way to breaking..

I wouldn't keep driving on a leaf that was bent that much. That puppy's on its way to breaking..

X2...... maybe a little local driving, but i wouldnt wheel on it anymore. that also isnt just fatigue/sagging, that is actual damage. it looks to me like maybe at full compression, the length of the spring maxxes out the travel of the shackle and the force goes to the weak point. or maybe you backed into something at some point. problem with springs is that they dont wear out and slowly crack, they break pretty cleanly, sometimes without warning or undue stress.
it could last for years, it could let go when you hit a bump on a highway overpass.

I had that issue with a set of RC leafs before, when I got my new set I took out the second leaf and replaced it with a leaf that was as long as the top leaf... ot happens because the top leaf takes a huge load on the inch or two of that spot that has no support of the 2nd leaf. Its hard to explain but I just took a stock top leaf and cut it right where it Starts to wrap around the bushing and installed it directly under your new top leaf. Ill try to take a pic when I get home.

Back