• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Suede" headliner installed

Talyn

NAXJA Forum User
The headliner in the XJ was starting to come down in the back so I replaced it this weekend with charcoal 'suede' headliner. I borrowed the idea to use simulated suede material from urban yan http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1064814. I used two and a little bit of a third can of 3M 38088 headliner adhesive. Install went well, but around the rear sound bar it got a bit difficult. I'm very happy with the way it came out.

DSC_1117.JPG

DSC_1080.JPG

DSC_1096.JPG

I also did the same thing on the ZJ about two weeks ago:

DSC_0963.JPG

DSC_0982.JPG

Could you share your installation procedure? Thank you.
Remove all the trim around the headliner. The A pillar trim I just let hang down and the B&C pillar trim was left in place. Pull out the headliner board. Remove the fabric, it will peel off the foam easily. Not the hard part. Scrub the old foam off with a brush. We used both plastic and wired brushes. Get it as clean as possible. I then vacuumed and blew the old board off. Lay the headliner material out on the board and have at least a 2" margin all around. I did it in halfs. Pull the fabric half way back and lay over the other half. I recommend protecting the bottom half with a something so you don't get over spray on it. The 3M 38808 said to use 3 coats, which the third coat in the opposite direction. I used 1 can per side. Then wait at least 5 minutes for it to dry. I waited 8-10 minutes. Have someone help hold the headliner fabric over the board so it doesn't touch the board all at once. . Start from the center and work your way out using firm pressure to mate the fabric to the board. I let the board sit with the fabric facing up for the glue to fully cure while I worked on the OHC and cleaning up. Install the board and re attach the trim. For the visors I used this post: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=947255

I didn't take any pics of the work as I felt it had been covered on this forum and others enough.

It looks cool, but this would drive me nuts wanting to brush it so the pattern all went the same direction!
Its not that noticeable, but the flash makes it jump out.

Dig it. I always prefer a dark headliner, the light one in my XJ has always bugged me (11 years of angst?).

The headliner and the pillar trims in my S-line A4 are wrapped in this cool, dark, textured synthetic material that I've often daydreamed about applying to the XJ.

Dig it. I always prefer a dark headliner, the light one in my XJ has always bugged me (11 years of angst?).
I never liked the light headliner either.

The headliner and the pillar trims in my S-line A4 are wrapped
I though about wrapping the B&C pillars on the ZJ, but they have the moving parts for the seat belt and I don't think that would work well with the thick fabric.

Very nice! After searching for ~ 2 months I found some camo that actually had a decent color combo featuring Grays and darker colors... Installed on my '01 Silver XJ ~ 2 months back and it changes the entire feel of my Rig. I got tired of all the push pins holding the factory roof liner down ... One of the best interior 'upgrades' one can do in my opinion.

Talyn,

Thanks for posting your steps. If you bought the supplies on line, and were happy with the vendor, could you provide their name? Also how many yards of material did you use? Thank you!

How long did the whole process take? have been putting mine off as patience is not my virtue.

Thanks, it came out awesome. I am very tempted to just rip it out and have the headliner sprayed with Line-X. There was a guy who did one and it came out great. I am also planning to attach an overhead console at the same time so I need to cut the headliner board...

Last edited:
Linex wouldn't be too terrible of an idea if that is the look you are going for. One option I had entertained was to coat the board in fiberglass resin, sand it smooth then paint it. However, I didn't think that the hard surface would do much for noise dampening.

Back