• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Solution to the saggy leafs!!! Active kit on an XJ review

s14unimog

NAXJA Forum User
Here recently I have been searching for a solution for the all too common rear leaf sag that plagues the XJ stance. My personal truck here is a 97 4-door sitting at ~4.5". The setup is made up from IRO radius arms, 4.5" IRO coils, RC 3" leaf pack and RC 1.5" shackles; with the rest of the stuff needed to sort this height. Naturally I had decided to then relocate the shackle angle and installed a set of HD engineering "no-lift" mounts. As a result, the rear actually sat a tad bit lower (maybe 1"), producing a negative rake and hence spurring on this search for what I thought were only options between another leaf pack and/or adding leafs. Now I suppose it should be noted that my suspension is geared more towards down travel rather than up. I have stock flares (and intend to keep them) and when loaded, the rear bump stops I've installed to prevent contact regularly would come into play all too often when loaded. This could be a couple buddies in the back seats to a 3000lb SeaRay. There is nothing more annoying than that crash from a sacked out suspension...

After what seemed liked endless forum searching and product browsing, I stumbled across the Active Suspension kit from Roadmaster while researching a simple under-the-leaf helper spring. To my dismay however, I then find out that they don't actually produce a kit for the XJ (any Jeep for that matter). So before giving up, I decide to give them a ring and open up a discussion about it. After a good many back and forth emails and phone calls, it became clear that when this product was developed back in the early 90's they had intended to outfit Jeeps but for one reason or another chose to move away from them. The product's intention doesn't really fall in line with typical Jeep use. This kit is technically intended for those hauling loads close to their vehicle's maximum hauling/loading capabilities. However, I believe the XJ is unique in Jeep world and so I pleaded with them to configure me a custom kit. I sent over numerous leaf measurements and pictures and before too long - BOOM! I had it! Now on with the pictures.

So here is the kit... As described, it comes completely assembled right out of the box.

F63FA532-3955-43EC-AF4A-4F7914F8AA6B_zpsvezfllzb.jpg

This next shot is how my rear was sitting when loaded - tires off and vehicle weight supported under the axle. A couple quick notes here. Yes, I realize my rear up travel is a bit short. This is the challenge with keeping stock flares over 32's. Notice the rear shackle angle is at a desirable position but that leaf is far too flat. You can also see where I ended up cutting out a portion of my body side bump stops to gain a little more room. This ended up simply making the bottoming out more harsh.

9B5D7FA1-101E-4C87-AFD8-6F41E3AD7838_zpsouamhzes.jpg

Another shot of the setup at full droop - tires off and vehicle weight supported by the receiver. This isn't a tremendous amount either but this was a sacrifice I wanted to make in order to raise my axle side shock mounts. I'm sure before too long I will relocate the body side mounts for more travel and go longer, but all in time. This range actually articulates very well.

C8E4737E-5C30-46CC-A5B8-821E62EB6D9A_zpsmirtmafq.jpg

Now with the addition of the Active Kit installed at full droop and set to their 1mm (0.039") coil gap pre-load.

9AF1DDF3-15AE-4E27-96D0-57F2E1C64EA3_zpsuqxmncuq.jpg

Now loaded with the Active kit at their specified 1mm preload (instructions that are typically included with an F250 install). This ended up being FAR too much preloading and raised the truck almost 2.5-3" inches from before. In the next pictures I had reduced that preloading down to 0.01" gap between the coils - netting about a 1" lift increase.

E23E8475-E552-4A96-8698-E411C250803E_zpso1e1qiv8.jpg

Before (bottom) and After (top)

FFC0BCD6-38D0-4B96-AA89-09D2AA2BE023_zpsg9a9blnu.jpg

I got out and cycled my suspension on the loading ramp yesterday evening. The kit didn't inhibit suspension travel but does provide extra ground pressure on the unloaded side - sort of like an anti-rock, which is nice.

8CD9F486-136F-4A0A-996F-F6987F340A09_zpsyr15npnz.jpg

485E092F-3BEB-435C-95FC-837A0C80D3D6_zpsvqnzritr.jpg

After thoughts...

Basically I'm in love with my Jeep again. Not only can I adjust the rear height based on loads, I can haul my 3000lb boat with little more than a few inches of squat (which I could reduce if I wanted to adjust for a long haul). The truck unloaded drives better than it has ever. The rear finally feels as nice as the front - a more progressive compression. Since installing the kit I have done more than a few higher speed offroad "trials" and even a few jumps. I cannot say it enough, I simply cannot fault the setup now.

Inresting. How much $$? And, how does this compare function wise and cost to new leafs?

Inresting. How much $$? And, how does this compare function wise and cost to new leafs?

The kit was around $400 shipped. I think its great function wise. I like how it doesn't necessarily make the ride any stiffer under normal driving but seems to provide the lift strength when I run loaded. I almost pulled the trigger on another leaf set (would have set me back similarly) but I'm glad I didn't.

Not to be a negative nancy, but I foresee bent leafs in your future.

Yeah? go on...

(on a side note, I gotta get one of your manifolds before too long.)

this is like a fancier version of the hellwig load leaf everyone was raging about on jeepforum in 2006.

I have never heard of those guys but the Active kit from Roadmaster isn't a new product. They've been selling this kit for 15+ years but none for the XJ (or any Jeep for that matter). I had to convince the owner to configure a slightly altered version of a kit fitted for an F250.

the difference is that this kit is merely intended for increased loading - not necessarily offroad performance. I can say thought, it's a nice addition to a Jeepspeed leafer and works great on the road loaded, as they've intended too.

Interesting product. A few things to keep in mind RC leaf springs aren't known for quality and most leaf packs that come with lift kits aren't designed to carry heavy loads. It seams you are doing both towing and wheeling with your Jeep. IMO a call to Deaver Spring with an explanation of the use of your Jeep would have netted you a better quality leaf pack that would last and function better than the Active kit. Once again, just an opinion.

No offense but it looks like a big metal band-aid to me.

Oh and get your Heep off the front porch ! :laugh:

Interesting product. A few things to keep in mind RC leaf springs aren't known for quality and most leaf packs that come with lift kits aren't designed to carry heavy loads. It seams you are doing both towing and wheeling with your Jeep. IMO a call to Deaver Spring with an explanation of the use of your Jeep would have netted you a better quality leaf pack that would last and function better than the Active kit. Once again, just an opinion.

Agreed, but consider the action of a leaf spring in general, its existance is a compromise on simplicity and cost with sacrifice to progressive movement. In short, its a cheap way to hang a big piece of metal - the axle. An extension spring on the other hand is a different story.

My loaded jeep includes 3 passangers, beer, a spare, recovery gear and supplies. That quickly puts any leaf in a flattened position. Solution may be a strong word but being able to use my jeep to safely haul the boat to the lake on the weekend makes for a solution. Its about supporting the leafs return position when loaded and having a light enough preload to disapear when not.

No offense but it looks like a big metal band-aid to me.

Oh and get your Heep off the front porch ! :laugh:

Ha! Its my loading dock.

This increases unsprung weight significantly. I bought my BDS leafs for less than $400.

Unsprung, lol! So does steel and iron. Trust me when i say that's a none issue

This appears to be a solution looking for a problem

Yeah? Seems like you're having a s**t wednesday... Lol

I think it's a cool product. The adjustability of it can't be beat as far as towing and load variation. Not all of us do a lot of towing with our XJs, but it seems to be perfect for those who do.

It looks easier to install than a whole new leaf pack also.

Not to be a negative nancy, but I foresee bent leafs in your future.

The XJ is noted for turning the leaf springs into pretzels due to the torque of the engine. The pinion sharply pitches up when torque is applied and this causes the spring to bend at the axle mount.

As good as this product appears to be for load leveling, unless it can reduce/eliminate axle wrap, I too see a short spring life as the spring is now preloaded to pitch up.

When I purchased the '98 I now have, one of the issues that caused the price to be way below book was that the rear springs were pretzels due to the PO using the XJ to tow. They had to be replaced almost immediately...

Towing imposes additional rotation load onto the axle as, obviously, more torque is required to move the rig.

Looking at how the thing mounts, it should help reduce axle wrap? It's pulling the top of the spring straight, similar to a trac bar only with a spring in it, so it won't help as much as a solid bar, but better than nothing.

" Its about supporting the leafs return position when loaded and having a light enough preload to disappear when not".

Exactly what a properly built leaf spring pack will do. I know its hard to believe what a well built spring for your application can do until you have experienced it. I towed a 21ft 4500 pound Sanger ski boat, two kids, wife, and all the crap that go's along with it for 7 years with my Jeep on 33's and Deaver leafs built for this application and it never sagged fully loaded and offroad they flexed great.

As a rule, traction bars mount to the front half of the spring and either are connected to the chassis via a shackle or, use rubber snubbers that strike the spring perch under load. The net effect is the same, they stop the pinion from rotating. They transfer the rotation to the chassis which directly improves the overall traction.

As I am in the process of attempting to build a traction bar that allows for the axle to articulate, trust me on this one. Not an easy task. If it were not for the need to keep the bar out of the rocks and allow for massive amounts of axle Z-Axis displacement, it would be easy...

But... Not the case. And that is the issue. Otherwise, I would have one installed already as I am delivering significantly more torque to the ground than a stock XJ does...

" Its about supporting the leafs return position when loaded and having a light enough preload to disappear when not".

Exactly what a properly built leaf spring pack will do. I know its hard to believe what a well built spring for your application can do until you have experienced it. I towed a 21ft 4500 pound Sanger ski boat, two kids, wife, and all the crap that go's along with it for 7 years with my Jeep on 33's and Deaver leafs built for this application and it never sagged fully loaded and offroad they flexed great.

Cool story. I am happy to hear that has worked out for you, but if you'll look on their site, you'll find out that Denver Spring & Suspension is even a distributor for Roadmaster Active Suspension... They recognize that even "well built" leafs take a set over time and require re-arching.

It's clear by this point your interest here is nothing more than faulting the system - you're not even considering my first comments...

Looking at how the thing mounts, it should help reduce axle wrap? It's pulling the top of the spring straight, similar to a trac bar only with a spring in it, so it won't help as much as a solid bar, but better than nothing.

Nope.

A traction bar prevents the axle from wrapping backwards or forwards under torque. in comparison, this device is simply rotating the axle backwards effectively preloading the leafs with what is essentially axle wrap.

The main problem I see is that the rear half of the spring now has a higher spring rate than the front half. Instead of flexing evenly during compression, the front half is now stressed more than the back resulting in more axle wrap and a bent leaf pack.

I've personally seen several XJ leaf packs with bent leafs in exactly the same plane that this "Active kit" preloads the pack.

Back