• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do you use to strip rust in unsandable places?

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm trying to prep for bedliner and there's a spot behind my cage I can't get to with sand paper that has pretty thick rust.

Also pretty much the entire top side of my cage. I can get to it by hand but I'd like something that gets it better. (The shop that built it lit my jeep on fire and left fire extinguisher gunk and water sitting inside it.)

IMG_5692_zps000aaf37.jpg

Just use some rust stabilizer.

Rust stabilizer, or sandblast/media blast it.

Is rattle can rustoleum "rust reformer" good enough? I've been using it on everything but I wire wheel the rust off first. In this case I cannot.

That should be fine. It actually works better if you don't wire wheel it first.

You could also pass emory cloth strips over the cage and slide it back and forth while pulling down. Check the plumbing aisle of Home Depot, it'll be near the pipe primers and wire brushes and such.

I used Duplicolor's "Rust Fix" primer, it goes on clear unless it reacts with rust, then it neutralizes it chemically and turns black. it worked VERY well on my last project and once i sprayed it and painted over it i never had a problem with it coming back.

before:

72206_1552275180479_50984_n.jpg

after:

33927_1553673975448_8186771_n.jpg

I realize this is on a flat surface and not up on top of the cage where you can't reach but you might be able to just spraybomb the crap out of it. :dunno:

Ahh I was actually looking for that stuff when I found Rustoleum "Rust reformer". I remember seeing it on an automotive tv show and forgot who made it. I might get that when I run out, I hope rust reformer is good. I've used 5 cans already.

it worked really well for me, the shell i picked up had sat closed for 2 years with no interior so it would literally rain down inside, the whole floor had terrible pitting and just about everything inside had surface rust through the paint. this stuff worked really well to just neutralize it and it never came back.

Back