• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SoCal => Sierra 2014 (Rubicon) Aug 11-15

ocean_jet

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning a trip to the Rubicon and Desolation Wilderness for the week of August 11, 2014. (Sierra Fest is August 8-10 if you want to do a combined trip.)

The plan for this trip is to wheel the Rubicon to Buck Island lake and hike into the Desolation Wilderness back country the next morning. Spend one night at Highland Lake and hike back to Buck the following morning.

1139794182_62c438f449_m_zpsfc28647d.jpg

Highland Lake is about a 5 1/4 miles hike from Buck Island, with about 1,450' elevation gain. About 1/2 of that is off-trail following a creek (assuming there's any water there next summer).

Taylor... I know you're in. :thumbup:

Anyone else interested?

definitely count me in.

my jeep should be road worthy by then.

Pencil me in as a definite maybe. I'm running either Fordyce or the Rubicon again this year. Anyone up for running them back to back?

Pencil me in as a definite maybe. I'm running either Fordyce or the Rubicon again this year. Anyone up for running them back to back?

if I have the money to afford a trip that long when the time comes I am game.

definitely count me in.

my jeep should be road worthy by then.

Road worthy and road legal are two different things btw.

Sounds like a fun trip, but it's happening about the same time as swamp lake.

I would likely be up for that.... Sierra Fest => Rubicon => Fordyce. :D

Seems pretty ambitious, but sounds fun.

I would likely be up for that.... Sierra Fest => Rubicon => Fordyce. :D

Seems pretty ambitious, but sounds fun.

We'll already be up there, so might as well. I'm guessing, Fordyce will add about what, 2 days?

We'll already be up there, so might as well. I'm guessing, Fordyce will add about what, 2 days?

I've never run Fordyce, but I think 2 days is enough. Although I may want to spend a night in Tahoe before we head up there... so, maybe add 3 days.

Do you guys still do a sierra fest up by shaver? we are having our sierra fest the week before and will probably be running the con that week, not 100% yet though.
we are talking about an unofficial dusy ershim run.

Do you guys still do a sierra fest up by shaver? we are having our sierra fest the week before and will probably be running the con that week, not 100% yet though.
we are talking about an unofficial dusy ershim run.

keep me updated on that!!!!!!!!!

Should be last weekend in July, first weekend in August. It's Goatman's thing. I plan on doing it.

Update:

I reserved the Loon Lake Chalet for the night of August 10.
Link to Loon Lake Chalet

The Chalet accommodates up to 20 guests overnight (10 vehicles). We will also use this as the staging area before starting the trail. The trail head is just on the other side of the lake from the Chalet.

I plan arrive on Sunday the 10 and get some target shooting in before the run. Eldorado National Forests allows open shooting, so there are tons of places to kills some clay pigeons around Loon Lake.

Map:
Link to Google Maps

I live in South Lake, I am definitely in for this.. it will be nice to meet some new faces!

Art you think you'll make this one?

Bajajeep? You still in?

I'll be at Loon Chalet by Sunday afternoon.

Still not 100% definite yet on my open dates, but should know in a week. Any chance you up for Fordyce as well?

Back