• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting Doors.

tcpoland

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Okay so I think I want to pull the doors off my 98 xj and paint them a rough textured flat black and then put them back on. There is some rust on the bottom of the doors but nothing that looks too rough. Whats the best way to go about this and what do I neex to know. I have never do e any auto body and paint work before. Thanks Guys

I would also apprecite any inpu I can get on weatherstripping. I cant seem to find anything for a 98 xj so is there universal weatherstripping thats any good?

Is the rust through the metal or just on the surface? If it's rusted through you're pretty much limited to cutting it out and welding good metal in. With surface rust you have some different options- sand it all off down to clean metal, use a chemical to remove it, or use a chemical to convert it or seal it. Or you can use a combination of those strategies. You may find that even after sanding the majority of it off you have some deeper 'pores' in the metal due to rust, which is where using a chemical to remove, convert, or seal it is a good idea. I'm not an autobody pro so I'll leave advice on which of those products to use to someone who is. I know there are a ton of options out there these days. The thing to remember is that any rust, even a tiny speck, can come back down the road; so the important thing is just do something about it, don't paint over it and figure that it's fine.

If you're just looking for the main door-to-body weatherstripping (sometimes called 'door seals'), those are super easy to find. You can order it from somewhere like Quadratec, RockAuto (I believe), or even Amazon. They run about $25 per door. Just do some Googling and you'll find a lot of sources for it.

Back