• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project: Rattle Rattle

SAMSET

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So sometime around October12, just as I was putting up my Durango for sale, and planning on getting something cheap for my wife to drive with the upcoming baby, this 2001 XJ pulls into the lot. Before the customer even bought a new car I planned on grabbing this. And that I did.

As you can see from the pics, it just needed a little love to look a little better. So the plan was for it to be my wife's DD. I put new flares where they were missing, put on 2in booster up front and 3in AAL out back, put some rugged terrain tires that measured to be about 30in tall, tinted the windows and cleaned it up a bit, and it was done.....or so I thought.

Then I had to do some work wheeling

Well shortly after the baby came

We found out that the AC was going to cost a bit to fix, the rear end had some problems that I hadn't looked into yet and the wife wanted a new car.
The 1st plan was for this to be my DD and the wife gets her new car and I trade in our Saturn, all while project "Unicorn" is still my underway.

Now I am still under the impression the Rew may have inceptioned me. Suddenly one day I got this seed of an idea and couldn't stop thinking about it. So the plans changed. Instead of tinkering away at the "Unicorn" project for years to come, I decided to start from scratch with a clean and pure newer jeep. This was the beginning of Project "Silver Bullet"

Re: Project: The Silver Bullet

The build plan for this rig is going to follow what the plan for the unicorn was going to be. basically im just stealing my own parts. Half of this stuff i bought new and half i got from the fine folks of NAXJA

So up front we will be installing 6.5in rustys coils. these i got used, sanded them down a bit and just sprayed them.

To go with those we have some upper and lower fixed control arms from Rustys. these to are used

yea they kinda look like shit, and im sure they paint will eventually peel, but whatever.

Then I pulled the transfer case out of my 95 before i sent it to the junk yard. this had my SYE on it. the case was originally from a 96 so its is the same one that is in the 01

Out back I will be running the 6in leaf Big Offroad leaf springs I got used from cheeseman

Also I got plenty of protection used.
aj's offroad sliders

a rustys engine skid
a rustys transfer case skid
stock front skid
stock gas tank skid
i put pics up later of those

Have patience. im doing a build thread while im working :looney:

Silver would look bad ass on those!!

true but i already painted them red. plus its the silver bullet.....(Coors light) their letters are in red:cool:
ss_CoorsLightCan.jpg

Last edited:

Then I got some new stuff.
RWK sent me 4:56 gears, master install kits, carrier and a front spartan locker.

On its way from IRO would be shocks, extended brake lines, over the knuckle steering, new U-bolts, and an up grade for the rough country track bar that i pulled off my 95.
the track bar will now have the heim joint to match the rest of the steering
here it is when i painted it
IMAG0226.jpg

Sounds like this will be a decent little wheeler when its all done. What you gonna do for tires since you sold yours to trixie?

So the basic plan for this would be...
2001 XJ 4.0
6in of lift
4:56 gears
front and rear locked
over the knuckle ungraded steering
red letter general grabber 35's
just about every skid plate
sliders
front and rear bumpers

hoping for it to last a while

I am planning on that trip to the Badlands planned Aug.2-4 being the 1st run for this. but weekends are going fast so that means I will be busy trying to get this thing finished

Last edited:

Getting things stated since im under the gun.

this is me grinding down the sliders

not done yet but they are looking better

I will be joining Dan at Mac's house for a gear install party next weekend.

come drink with us:cheers:

Sure hope you can get it done for the badlands trip. Me and trixie will be at mac's for the gear party.

In this pic you can see the 8.25 I pulled out of the 95
This has all new brakes, and a lock right locker in it. Not to mention there is something going on with my current rear end. So this will be going in this weekend over at Rew's house.

These were on the 95. they will be on the Silver Bullet with in the next couple days.

they were painted red

New JCR bumper. never made it to the 95 or the Unicorn

Have not decided if i want to throw on the cherry bomb yet. i pulled it off the 95, now its sitting.

I bought it because it deflects rocks and such.

gas tank skid after I painted it

Have not decided if i want to throw on the cherry bomb yet. i pulled it off the 95, now its sitting.

I bought it because it deflects rocks and such.

Don't do it! the only reason it deflects rocks is because it sounds so horrible the rocks just jump out of the way!

Got the sliders all grinded down to bare metal. Well as far as im going to go anyways. I will slap some primer and paint tomorrow.

Project: The Silver Bullet

Red?

mac 'seems a common theme' gyvr

Hi, my name is Steve. I like the cherokee it's so pretty. I couldn't wheel it. I like the silver and red. And put a chambered muffler on it. Sounds much better. I'm only about an hour and a half south of you. Down here in champaign.

Back