• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with spider gear removal from 8.25

rocknxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm attempting to install a Powertrax no-slip locker in my 29 spline 8.25 Trac Lock diff. I've got the c-clips and pinion shaft removed. Next step is to remove the spider gears, then side gears.

What is the best way to remove the spiders on this setup? I've tried YouTube, the forum, and Google with no luck.

Pull the center pin and rotate the carrier until the gears walk themselves out. With no pinion shaft installed they'll come right out.

Pull the center pin and rotate the carrier until the gears walk themselves out. With no cross pin installed they'll come right out.

yep, once you take the cross pin out the spiders will turn instead of the carrier when you turn one of the axles, and they will walk right out of the carrier. don't lose the thrust washers that are on the back of the spider gears.

I must be doing something wrong then. I pulled the pin and rotated the axle, but the carrier still turned and spiders remained stationary. They wouldn't budge with a bit of force from a flat screwdriver, either. Should I engage only one axle and try it that way? I've already reassembled everything, shy of adding new oil, but can disassemble again tomorrow.

Back