NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old May 2nd, 2013, 23:13
NAXJA Forum User

Exhaust leak at muffler inlet, outlet

The 1997 Cherokee I just got has a bolt-in Magnaflow muffler. There are sooty mraks at both the inlet and outlet showing the U-clamps are not causing a prefect seal -- the leaks occur where the semicircle of the u-bolt fairs into the semicircle of the folded sheetmetal clamp. So I have 2 leaks at each clamp for a grand total of 4 leaks.

I plan to replace this muffler with one that isn't so loud and want to know how to install the new muffler so it doesn't have these same leaks. It would be real annoying to pay the money for a quiet muffler only to hear the leaks instead!

Thanks for your help.

--HappyDog
Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:10
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Exhaust leak at muffler inlet, outlet

Weld it in or try the band style clamps.