• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nates 4x4

poppyseed

NAXJA Forum User
Thinking of picking up Nates 4x4 XJ bumper combo #2 (front winch bumper with brushguard, and rear bumper with built in hitch) How do you guys like these bumpers/ customer service. I have heard many different opinions on the interwebs lol.

I had the same debate when I wanted to get a winch bumper for my XJ. It came down to either Nates or C4x4. I ended up with C4x4 and really like mine. I decided on them for a couple of reasons. One was cost and the other was because their customer service was awesome.

Nates will nickel and dime you. The initial price doesnt seem to bad of a price, but once you start adding all the "extras" on, it adds up. C4x4 didnt charge me anything extra for grade 8 hardware. Why does Nates? You can get the prerunner bar with C4x4 or you can wait and do it later (your call). My C4x4 mounted flawlessly and I enjoy it, as I said.

Unless you're just set on Nates, I'd consider the C4x4. Give'em a call and talk to them...if nothing else, you can see how their customer service is.

I got my rear bumper from nates awhile back and the customer service wae really bad. It took him about 3 months to build my rear bumper and never answered my calls after he got my money.

The bumper works well but he did mount the receiver slightly crooked.

you could take a chance with him, but I wouldn't risk buying from him again.

Get a couple deck chairs to go with it...

... but then again I'm a nazi about approach angle, even my slightly better than stock bumper approach angle hangs me up occasionally so I made damn certain to recess the winch inside it instead of building a cradle on the front.

JCR All the way. Helps that they're a 1/2 hour away. A lot of bad press don't fix ok bumpers and questionable shipping and customer service.

Last edited:
I read it as:
Nate has "ok bumpers and questionable shipping and customer service."

I've not heard of anyone who has a JCR bumper that wishes they'd gone elsewhere.

Thinking of picking up Nates 4x4 XJ bumper combo #2 (front winch bumper with brushguard, and rear bumper with built in hitch) How do you guys like these bumpers/ customer service. I have heard many different opinions on the interwebs lol.

do you remember when I ordered mine? It took + 3mos. to arrive and I couldn't get a single response from the guy who took my money in less than a day..... yup--that was Nates4X4. No problems with the bumper (you've seen it) but I'd never use him again unless I really didn't care if I ever saw my money again and wasn't in any hurry to get anything for it.

JCR, ORF, Ballistic Fab, damn near anybody, etc will treat you better and give you a quality product in less time.

i bought my nates bumper back in 08-09 it took around 6 months before i saw it and he never responded to my calls or emails it just showed up one day. none of the welds were ground down, and the light tabs i had him put on were in a position that i was unable to mount lights with out having a hell of alot of washers on it.

IMO you can get a quality bumper for just a little more from a number of other places.

Jesus... Just browsed his catalog, and you guys are right on the nickle-and-diming front to say the least. And those bumpers are pretty friggin ugly to boot.

I have to put in a vote for RigidCo and Detours (I have an FbG and a Slimline). Terry and Mark (respectively) are f'ing awesome people to begin with, and will stay in constant contact throughout the build process. Delays are to be expected with small fabrication shops, but they will never leave you in the dark.

Hell, Mark even personally delivered my Slimline en route to a family vacation while I was living in North Carolina. Met him and his family (great folks all around), and still occasionally talk to him to this day. As a result, Detours is the first place I go when looking for fabbed pieces for my XJ. He even emailed me throughout the build process and did some goofy sh*t along the way:

slimline_build3.jpg

Couldn't have been happier to have someone take my money.

Last edited:
wow thanks for the replies guys lol. I guess I still have some shopping around to do, and shorty i thought yours was from nates 4x4 forgot it took that long tho....

I read it as:
Nate has "ok bumpers and questionable shipping and customer service."

I've not heard of anyone who has a JCR bumper that wishes they'd gone elsewhere.

Heavens no. I've heard nothing but good about you. Nate's reputation on the other hand, is less than stellar.

Ohhhh! Ok good! :clap:

Back