NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old January 4th, 2013, 08:37
NAXJA Forum User

For those wanting a complete WJ knuckle swap parts list

Here is a complete parts list with pricing and vendors. The highlighted yellow parts are what is needed bare minimum. I used this as a time to basically upgrade my entire axle assembly so the cost is high but it can be done for around $800 which includes steering upgrade.

Figured I would share it in case guys wanted a more detailed list as it seems to be popular recently.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...HR2d kE#gid=0
Old January 4th, 2013, 15:22
NAXJA Forum User

Re: For those wanting a complete WJ knuckle swap parts list

Do you have to weld new swaybar mounts and tracbar mount in order to do the swap?
Old January 4th, 2013, 18:05
NAXJA Forum User

you can get it to work without relocating your trackbar axle end mounting point but it is NOT ideal by any means. You definitely HAVE to relocate sway bar mounts IF you plan to run a sway bar
Old January 4th, 2013, 18:38
Piece of Fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZjeepin1 View Post
Do you have to weld new swaybar mounts and tracbar mount in order to do the swap?
You will have crazy bumpsteer and such with non parallel draglink/trackbar angles.
blistovmhz: Goddamn Canada. We're all rapists. Don't come here.
Old January 4th, 2013, 19:35
NAXJA Forum User

I already have a heim steering set up.

Could I drill the WJ knuckles and use the steering I have?
Old January 4th, 2013, 23:07
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean_jet View Post
I already have a heim steering set up.

Could I drill the WJ knuckles and use the steering I have?
So you have a heim steering setup on stock knuckles now? Are you asking if you can simply swap out WJ knuckles in place of the stock ones?
Old January 5th, 2013, 07:56
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001XJ View Post
So you have a heim steering setup on stock knuckles now? Are you asking if you can simply swap out WJ knuckles in place of the stock ones?

Yes basically. Knuckles and all the matching brakes parts of course.
Old January 6th, 2013, 06:09
NAXJA Forum User

If you have the heim setup on stock and assuming you are "stacking" the mounting of the tie rod and draglink, you would have to alter the length somewhat when swapping to WJ knuckles due to separate mounting points for the draglink and tierod. You would also have to come up with additional hardware for each mounting point, but in general it should work.
Old January 6th, 2013, 08:27
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001XJ View Post
If you have the heim setup on stock and assuming you are "stacking" the mounting of the tie rod and draglink, you would have to alter the length somewhat when swapping to WJ knuckles due to separate mounting points for the draglink and tierod. You would also have to come up with additional hardware for each mounting point, but in general it should work.

Actually my tie-rod is under and my drag link is over the knuckle.

It's the whole "alter the length somewhat" I am concerned about. If the rods need to be an inch longer, I can probably accommodate that in the heim adjustment. If they need to be shorter, that would require cutting the rods.

When you say "additional hardware for each mounting point", what are you referring to?

Thank so much for your tips.
Old January 6th, 2013, 08:27
NAXJA Forum User

Also something to keep in mind for anyone looking to do this swap. You are not required to upgrade the steering to do the swap. If you are just looking for braking performance increase or don't want to do everything at once, you can run your stock or stock style upgrade with the WJ knuckles without issue. This means you don't have to build a new trackbar mount, swap wheels, etc if you want to keep downtime to a minimum. You can always upgrade the steering/trackbar at a later date. You will still have to remove or rebuild your swaybar mounts though as the upper arm of the passenger side WJ knuckle swings directly into it at full lock.
Old January 6th, 2013, 15:51
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean_jet View Post
Actually my tie-rod is under and my drag link is over the knuckle.

It's the whole "alter the length somewhat" I am concerned about. If the rods need to be an inch longer, I can probably accommodate that in the heim adjustment. If they need to be shorter, that would require cutting the rods.

When you say "additional hardware for each mounting point", what are you referring to?

Thank so much for your tips.
I only said "additional hardware for each mounting point" referring to spacers for the heims. Certain kits utilizing the stock knuckles use spacers and mount the TRE and draglink end together ontop of one another or sandwhiching the TRE knuckle....Ive seen it done both ways.

If you went from a "stacked" configuration, going from a single mounting point to two mounring points, you would require the additional hardware. Im sure you know but the WJ pass. knuckle has the mounting point for the TRE and another one up higher for the draglink.
Old January 6th, 2013, 23:39
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
Also something to keep in mind for anyone looking to do this swap. You are not required to upgrade the steering to do the swap. If you are just looking for braking performance increase or don't want to do everything at once, you can run your stock or stock style upgrade with the WJ knuckles without issue. This means you don't have to build a new trackbar mount, swap wheels, etc if you want to keep downtime to a minimum. You can always upgrade the steering/trackbar at a later date. You will still have to remove or rebuild your swaybar mounts though as the upper arm of the passenger side WJ knuckle swings directly into it at full lock.
I run stock style steering with a WJ swap. did it for the brakes, and eventual steering swap dont wanna deal with diagnosing bumpsteer if I dont get it right the first time. WJ drops the knuckles about 3/4", but I threw on a drop pitman arm I had lying around to work on keeping the drag link flat. Ill drive over to Ruffstuff and grab trackbar mounts, DOM, and hiems, and more DOM to build OTK steering soon though. prolly before June.

1998 4.6 stroker , aw4 XJ on 60/14b , 5.38s, grizzly/detroit, cage, 40s, psc big bore box , assist, 3 link,transgo aw4 reprogram
Old January 7th, 2013, 06:15
Three-De Off-Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
In this case, what is the parts list?
Dirk DeYoung--Member #176--National Vice President, SEC President
You'll never leave Harlan alive.
1996 ZJ (200GRND)...2001 XJ (TRALRIG)...2013 WKII (SUZIE)...2006 XK (TOW RIG)
Old January 7th, 2013, 08:00
NAXJA Forum User

I couldn't run a straight tierod with a RuffStuff diffcover.

The tierod would have run right into it.

Even with the WJ offset ends it almost touched it at full lock.
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:51
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
In this case, what is the parts list?
Well, if you don't want to replace NOTHING EXCEPT THE KNUCKLES, you can get it down to (u have to have ball joints so you might as well do all four):

2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Powerstop slotted rotors
Mopar Factory Jeep Grand Cherokee Akebono Caliper Kit 94-99
Grand Cherokee (WJ) outer steering knuckles 94-99
Grand Cherokee (WJ) caliper brackets 94-99
WJ knuckle flange spacer
Dana 30 Super, Ball Joint Kit (upper & lower)
*Timken Wheel Hub Assembly (if you don't have a 2000/2001XJ)

otherwise its best to replace unit bearings and u-joints while you are doing it.