NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old November 28th, 2012, 12:08
NAXJA Forum User

Unhappy Radiator Woes!!

I have a 1998 4x4 Sport XJ and I am in the market for a new radiator. I currently have a 3 row I had installed about 4 years ago and it is a pile of crap the has been replaced 2 times since it was installed with a "lifetime warranty". The shop that did it is now out of business (BIG SURPRISE!!) and I now need to pick up a new one. Lifetime warranty isn't much good if the shop that issued it is out of business LOL. I have gone through a lot of the threads on here about radiators and most of them are several years old.

I really like the Champion CC1193 for the 1991-2001 Cherokee but I can't find anywhere that has it in stock including Champion's website. Starting to wonder if they even make it anymore for my year. Maybe they were having a problem with that model?

I have to replace the radiator soon seeing as it is leaking again and have no idea what to replace it with. Does anyone know of a radiator that is of equal quality to the Champion one with a similar price? I know Griffon makes one but I am not spending $500+ on a radiator LOL

Any help would be most appreciated,
Robert
Old November 28th, 2012, 14:53
NAXJA# 2091

Re: Radiator Woes!!

All I can tell you is stay away from plastic tanks and aluminum, get all metal copper-brass, CSF brand if you can, and get 2 or 3 rows.

Like this one:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...CSF2671 .html

And make sure you have a quality working T-stat and no head gasket leaks that are causing the radiators to leak!!!!
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old November 28th, 2012, 18:23
On a Time Out

Mike,
That CSF seems to be widely picked on the forums. Is it an exact fit? I am better off this CSF than some custom radiatorbarn one? I heard of fitment issues with the 3 row radiatorbarn one.
Old November 28th, 2012, 18:38
NAXJA Forum User

I have the CSF 3-row and it was a drop in fit. Cools great. I bought it lightly used, the only issue I've had with it was the plastic petcock broke off and it started to leak from there. Maybe I overtightened it but it's pretty brittle plastic. Drilled it out and replaced it with a bolt lightly wrapped in teflon tape. Was just gonna be a temp fix but it's working fine so I left it.
Old November 28th, 2012, 19:01
On a Time Out

Why do they make an all-metal radiator and then have a plastic petcock???
Old November 28th, 2012, 19:44
Salton of Stuck

Never use the petcock, just pull the lower rad hose.
Old November 28th, 2012, 19:54
NAXJA# 2091

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper View Post
Why do they make an all-metal radiator and then have a plastic petcock???
Why do they stick a rubber hose on the ends?
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old November 29th, 2012, 07:36
NAXJA Forum User

Just be aware if you order the CSF 3-Row that you have the proper fittings to hook up your transmission cooling lines. i.e... that piece that fits just below your filler neck is not included and you'll need to use the one off your OE radiator (assuming you still have that piece)

The CSF 3-Core should be a drop in process.
Old November 29th, 2012, 10:23
On a Time Out

Redsnake, this thing? How many?

Tranny line connector
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-28973-800-714.aspx
Old November 29th, 2012, 11:32
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:

Tranny line connector
It's not that connector... I honestly couldn't find it last week when I was swapping in a CSF 3-Core for my leaking 2-Core Champion Radiator...

It comes off the threaded 'nipple' and has a bend/hard-line "L" similar to the one welded on the radiator at the bottom of the side tank.
Old November 29th, 2012, 13:26
NAXJA# 2091

Quote:

Tranny line connector
That is the one that goes into the AW4 transmission itself.
Old November 29th, 2012, 13:32
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecomike View Post
That is the one that goes into the AW4 transmission itself.
Right... the one you'll need is the one that attaches to the radiator itself. Your OE adapter will or should work, but since you've had your radiator replaced a few times you could have trouble if the replacement radiators don't have the part you need. Not sure why CSF wouldn't include it, but they don't.
Old November 29th, 2012, 13:50
NAXJA# 2091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
Right... the one you'll need is the one that attaches to the radiator itself. Your OE adapter will or should work, but since you've had your radiator replaced a few times you could have trouble if the replacement radiators don't have the part you need. Not sure why CSF wouldn't include it, but they don't.
I have 2 CSF radiators now and I don't recall the fittings not being on it already? But if not, I just moved the old one from the current radiator, and reused it. The problem was finding a new plastic clip!!!!!
Old November 29th, 2012, 20:28
On a Time Out

What is this plastic clip are you talking about???
And is the missing radiator nipple listed in the parts catalog?

There's nothing worse than stopping a job dead in its tracks b/c of a missing part.
I prefer to replace anything and everything I can get my hands on during a repair.
Replace all bolts and screws if possible, etc.

Like every single project ever, it's always more complicated that everyone makes it initially seem.
Are there any other "Oh, yea, and one more thing..." parts a new radiator doesn't come with?

Last edited by bimmerjeeper; November 29th, 2012 at 21:00.
Old November 29th, 2012, 20:47
NAXJA Forum User

Good parts plus a true lifetime warranty lol..

http://www.radiator.com/index.php