• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

US Navy paint on XJ?

rvmccarthy

NAXJA Forum User
So the US Navy uses this company to supply them with the paint they use on their warships. It obviously resists corrosion well, as these ships sit in salt water 24/7/265.

Anyone ever used it on their auto? I'm looking for maximum corrosion resistance and was wondering if that might work.

http://www.epaint.com/

100 days in drydock a year? I doubt it.

Heck, they sent us out on Pac with boilers that had not been overhauled since before they were pulled out of a ship that was decommissioned.

what kind of UV resistance does it have? That would be my largest concern. Toxicity being second, you don't want to get cancer from applying it.

I recommend www.topsecretcoatings.com

They have milspec paints and many others for reasonable prices. Their product is hard to beat. It makes POR-15 look bad.

i wouldnt recomend the navy ship paint. we are always repainting them cause it chips and wears fast. u wouldnt believe the layers on it from painting the hual every 2-3 years

I thought the big ships also used electro magnets to make a barrier with the salt and the paint? I saw this on history channel one day... they had a bunch of these plates that had electricity ran to them under the ships and they had to be replaced every so often because they'd corrode away... I'm sure that's the only reason the paint stands up to the water "so well".... still, compared to a good auto paint I bet the auto paint is better for cars, obviously.

I thought the big ships also used electro magnets to make a barrier with the salt and the paint? I saw this on history channel one day... they had a bunch of these plates that had electricity ran to them under the ships and they had to be replaced every so often because they'd corrode away... I'm sure that's the only reason the paint stands up to the water "so well".... still, compared to a good auto paint I bet the auto paint is better for cars, obviously.

Sounds kind of like an electronic anode... If such a thing exists?

:dunno:

One time, on the history channel....
im-not-saying-it-was-aliens-but-it-.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathodic_protection

Being that I am on a Navy ship as I type this (getting my 3rd assistant engineers license) I can give some input on what we really do. As for the hull having some sacrificial anodes, well that's wrong. We DO have Zinc anodes on many individual SYSTEMS (ie main salt water system) but they only protect the steel pipes that has the corrosive water/material in it. For protecting the hull from rusting, we have a CAPAC system that constantly supplies the hull with a source of DC power which HELPS(not prevent, no system is perfect) fight against corrosion. As far as paint, well I'm not a deck guy so I'm not painting all the time so I couldn't really help you there. The ship goes into dry dock every 5 years but different ships will go at different intervals.

-Blake.

^^^ see, its a good thing I watch what I can on History to shed light in to conversations like this...

And yes, I saw that history show as well with that crazy ass dudes hair. Haha.

Back