NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 20th, 2012, 10:43
Member# 3846

Insert lockder question.

New at this.
If i take out my axle carrier in my dana 30 and install a Spartan insert locker do i need to rear set the backlash when i install the carrier?
I already have a Detroit Ez insert locker inside that has failed... so i am just swapping out the locker for a new one. This will be my first time messing with the gears. Also is there any tips you guys have when doing this?
Thanks,
Brandon
Old November 20th, 2012, 11:16
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Insert lockder question.

No, Not to say its still in spec though. You will have to pull the ring gear off to get the cross pin out and in. Use grease to hold the springs in during assembly and its recommnded to use a new roll pin.
Old November 20th, 2012, 12:12
NAXJA Forum User

Why even pull the carrier?
Old November 20th, 2012, 12:15
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezio69 View Post
Why even pull the carrier?
Because the ring gear has to come off. And its much easier to work with on a bench.
Old November 20th, 2012, 12:18
NAXJA Member

There are great step by step videos on YouTube. Remember to use the supplied new cross pin and do not reuse the factory cross pin.

Good luck. Mine took less then 4 hours
Old November 20th, 2012, 12:21
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-ZJ-SCOTT View Post
There are great step by step videos on YouTube. Remember to use the supplied new cross pin and do not reuse the factory cross pin.

Good luck. Mine took less then 4 hours
You mean roll pin right?
Old November 20th, 2012, 12:26
NAXJA Member

No, cross pin The large 3/4" thick 5" long pin. The spartan comes with a new hardened cross pin, the factory one is not hardened. And I've seen them break well before the carrier
Old November 20th, 2012, 12:28
NAXJA Forum User

Ah, lockrights and aussies dont come with new ones. no problems yet.....
Old November 20th, 2012, 12:59
NAXJA Forum User

My Aussie fit right in, cross pin came in and out just fine, if it doesn't clear just grind a tiny bit of the tooth away. Been done many a time with no ill effects, seems like loosening more bolts means more places to mess up your torque specs and cause other issues... just sayin
Old November 20th, 2012, 13:08
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezio69 View Post
My Aussie fit right in, cross pin came in and out just fine, if it doesn't clear just grind a tiny bit of the tooth away. Been done many a time with no ill effects, seems like loosening more bolts means more places to mess up your torque specs and cause other issues... just sayin
On what axle? I had to grind teeth to get the cross pin in my 8.25 (4:56s and No slip) but thats the only option because you cant install it with the carrier out and ring gear off.

But on a Dana 30 you have to pull the ring gear or grind teeth I guesss. If you are going to grind them, you don't want to do it with the carrier installed.... I think I would rather tourqe bolts then grind away teeth espciallly on a tiny dana 30 ring gear.

Last edited by whitexj98; November 20th, 2012 at 13:14.
Old November 20th, 2012, 13:14
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitexj98 View Post
On what axle? I had to grind teeth to get the cross pin in my 8.25 but thats the only option because you cant install it with the carrier out.

But on a Dana 30 you have to pull the ring gear or gind teeth.. I guesss and if you are going to grind them, you don't want to do it with the carrier installed....
I did the grinding method on my XJ front D30. Just removed a very small amount of material on the ring gear tooth and the pin slid right out and new one went right in. Also, IIRC, I left the OE thrust washers in the carrier when installing the Spartan as directed. I believe the Aussie requires them to be left out. If the OP's Detroit EZ locker does not require the thrust washers, he'll need to buy some for the Spartan. It will not engage right without them.
Old November 20th, 2012, 13:37
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitexj98 View Post
On what axle? I had to grind teeth to get the cross pin in my 8.25 (4:56s and No slip) but thats the only option because you cant install it with the carrier out and ring gear off.

But on a Dana 30 you have to pull the ring gear or grind teeth I guesss. If you are going to grind them, you don't want to do it with the carrier installed.... I think I would rather tourqe bolts then grind away teeth espciallly on a tiny dana 30 ring gear.

It shouldn't affect the strength of the gear in any way by removing a little material. We did it on a buddies d30 2 years ago when installing a locker, no issues whatsoever.

Just stuff a rag in the carrier and clean it up after, you'd want to anyway to inspect it while you have it apart. But to each his own, like I said before.... its just another option if he is worried about pulling it all apart. That's all
Old November 20th, 2012, 13:47
Member# 3846

Good stuff thanks guys.
I have heard you can do it while the carrier is still installed but if you have a lower than stock gear ration you will need to remove the ring and carrier.

I do have a new cross pin with the locker. But will i need a new roll pin?

Last edited by Brandon77; November 20th, 2012 at 13:52.
Old November 20th, 2012, 13:53
Member# 3846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetcat View Post
I did the grinding method on my XJ front D30. Just removed a very small amount of material on the ring gear tooth and the pin slid right out and new one went right in. Also, IIRC, I left the OE thrust washers in the carrier when installing the Spartan as directed. I believe the Aussie requires them to be left out. If the OP's Detroit EZ locker does not require the thrust washers, he'll need to buy some for the Spartan. It will not engage right without them.
Good thought... i am not sure if there is thrust washers with the detroit ez locker. But i dont think the spartan locker needs the thrust washers. Correct me if am wrong.
Old November 20th, 2012, 14:01
NAXJA Member

I did a D30 lunchbox locker in a campground. Didn't pull the carrier with 3.73 gears, so the same carrier as your 4.10s.

Getting the roll pin out to release the cross shaft is the biggest PITA. Personally, I wouldn't pull the carrier unless your confident you'll get the bearing caps installed correctly. I've done it both ways and I'd rather not pull a carrier if I don't have to.