• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need advice, please.

Fred

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Zac's 97 needs a new fender. I bought a replacement that is painted white and in good shape. He bought the (ugh) stock turquoise paint to repaint it.

What is the proper way to prep the replacement fender for painting? I know the clearcoat has to come off. Do we need to sand to primer, or just remove the clearcoat?

What's a good sander for this job? I have a 1/4 sheet sander, and a HF palm orbital sander that doesn't much impress me. I have air, but it's limited to 5 CFM. I could use advice on grit numbers, also.

Thanks for the advice. I can fix stuff, but making things look good is not my forte.

Fred

First off, clean that sucker thoroughly with soap and water, then with an automotive grade paint thinner. NOT LACQUER THINNER! Sand with anything rougher than 220 and you'll hate yourself for it unless you're doing bodywork. If the fender's straight, wet sand with 220 until the color just starts to come off. No orange peel or uneven spots. It should look smooth and dull. Then go with 400 wet just to get it slick. It will look a little bit shinier than the 220. Dry, seal, paint. If you take off the factory primer you'll need to prime and re-sand. So be careful you don't get too aggressive.

Back