NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 20th, 2012, 14:33
NAXJA Forum User

Build Thread! Project : Don't know yet.

So I am starting a build here. Long story short, my beloved 94 country was stolen by assholes. My brother gave me his lightly wrecked 98 base model, and I am using what little insurance money I got to build me another xj!

It's a 98, ex gov't, 4.0/AW4/231 base model with A/C, 118k. Slid into a sidewalk going way to fast. Turns over, won't start.

The Plan:
I like to think outside the box and build stuff my own way. I will be flamed much, but I have broad shoulders.

It will be driven on the street 90% of the time. It will ride good and have many creature comforts. It will look boss. It will sound good. It will be an appropriate vehicle for general ass kicking. And yes, it will actually see dirt. I promise.

It is gonna get a 4.5 longarm, cutout flares and 35s.

It needs all new running gear. Both axles are trashed. The rear will be a 9 inch with discs.

The front will be WJ derived.

The bolt pattern shall be 5 on 127 so that I may use the wide variety of wheels for JKs.

Modified Warrior Products front and rear bumpers

Contemplating some JCR bits.

The good:

The Bad:

The Ugly:

First I had the frame checked out by a body shop.

Second, I narrowed the no start condition down to no fuel coming out of the tank. I could hear the pump running but no fuel came out. So I pulled the tank and found this.

He hit so hard the fuel pump assembly sheared off and was laying in the bottom of the tank. Put a new assy in and voila, it runs like a swiss watch. Minus the hole in the exhaust from the front diff impact that made it sound like it was farting. After I got it running, I found out that the D35 rear is taco'd as well.
Old June 20th, 2012, 15:44
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Build Thread! Project : Don't know yet.

Think I decided on a rear axle. It's a Ford 9 3/8 out of a 76 thunderbird. It is 62" WMS-WMS, 31 spline and has discs. It is also 5 x 5 pattern, so it will match JK pattern exactly! The 9 3/8 is a modified 9", and will take a standard 9" chunk. Picked up anodular one of those for fifty bucks!! woot!
Old June 20th, 2012, 19:05
NAXJA Forum User

Always good to have a plan. This one doesn't seem to ambitious. Get it to where you like it first try and save thousands on rebuilding. This is what I should have done.

I'll be following this.
Old June 20th, 2012, 19:13
NAXJA Forum User

so, WJ30/9" axles? why not try and find a JK44 (or JK30 even) for the BP and get the track width to even up. you want the front to be a bit wider than the rear, JK axles are something like 64" WMS.
Old June 21st, 2012, 00:20
Piece of Fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJLI View Post
so, WJ30/9" axles? why not try and find a JK44 (or JK30 even) for the BP and get the track width to even up. you want the front to be a bit wider than the rear, JK axles are something like 64" WMS.
Aren't WJ/JKaxles similar width?
blistovmhz: Goddamn Canada. We're all rapists. Don't come here.
Old June 21st, 2012, 04:58
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie Walker View Post
Aren't WJ/JKaxles similar width?
JK is a little wider.
Old June 21st, 2012, 08:40
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
JK is a little wider.
this and the JK 30 has a slightly larger R&P than a regular HP30.
Old June 21st, 2012, 13:49
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
JK is a little wider.
From everything I have seen:

XJ = 60.5"
WJ = 63"
JK = 65"

I realize this plan sounds crazy but here it goes. First I am gonna put a standard XJ housing in the front to get it going. If it sits on jack stands, it will never get finished. I know me.

I will put spacers on the xj axle to adapt to the JK pattern and it will end up right at 63". That will get me going and allow me to futz with the real axle and take measurements in the real world. If the 65" width works with the bushwackers well, I will go that route (This is mostly a street driven rig, remember. And I hate tickets...).

If not, I have a crazy idea that involves cutting a WJ 2wd axle into two pieces, welding in a 9" centersection, running custom Dutchman inner axles (they are 8mins from my house) and XJ outer stubs. Either that or I could just run RCVs. Either way, I would get really any width I want, plenty of strength for a XJ, WJ brakes, crossover steering, stronger and off the shelf steering components from a WJ, perfect steering geometry/pinion angle, and a conversation starter I can be proud of.

Last edited by XJRocket; June 21st, 2012 at 13:55.
Old June 21st, 2012, 16:27
NAXJA Forum User

prolly still isnt gonna run too well with the number 1 O2 sensor ripped off.. the front axle looks ok from the pictures you posted, have you pulled the cover off and taken a peek inside or checked it for true?
Old June 21st, 2012, 17:14
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacedaddy View Post
prolly still isnt gonna run too well with the number 1 O2 sensor ripped off.. the front axle looks ok from the pictures you posted, have you pulled the cover off and taken a peek inside or checked it for true?
When you see it in person, there is a distinct kink right at the pumpkin. In the one pic you can see the additional negative camber from it. That O2 sensor will be reinstalled, I am just trying to figure out what in. Anyone know of a header that replaces this part of the exhaust? I think a pacesetter goes all the way to the cat but I heard that they suck.
Old June 21st, 2012, 18:11
NAXJA Member #771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built2Flex View Post
Always good to have a plan. This one doesn't seem to ambitious...
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJRocket View Post
...I have a crazy idea that involves cutting a WJ 2wd axle into two pieces, welding in a 9" centersection, running custom Dutchman inner axles (they are 8mins from my house) and XJ outer stubs. Either that or I could just run RCVs. Either way, I would get really any width I want, plenty of strength for a XJ, WJ brakes, crossover steering, stronger and off the shelf steering components from a WJ, perfect steering geometry/pinion angle, and a conversation starter I can be proud of.
So much for the modesty.

We all get carried away before long! Good luck with it man!

Robert
Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:16
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
So much for the modesty.

We all get carried away before long! Good luck with it man!

Robert
Ha I know. Just wait, I have more in store. On another note, I located my rear axle. $150 with 33,000 orig on it. Also ordered flares and hack n tap.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 11:51
NAXJA Forum User

Ruh row. Wonder what this is for?
Old June 22nd, 2012, 14:01
NAXJA Member

purdy. is it new or an oem take-off from another vehicle?
Old June 22nd, 2012, 14:08
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
purdy. is it new or an oem take-off from another vehicle?
It's a Magnusson MP90 that was a R&D unit I got directly from Magnusson a couple of years back for my other xj. Glad it wasn't on there when it was stolen... Anyway, I have another manifold that I am having machined down so I can weld a box plenum onto it to hold th SC and the air/water intercooler. Packaging is gonna be a beeeotch. This is a project for after the suspension, though.