NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 12th, 2012, 00:52
NAXJA Forum User

Coolant Filter install - 2000 XJ

Overtime, there can be a lot of gunk buildup in the cooling system. There are many factors that can contribute to gunk buildup, but Iíll save that for another discussion. Since Iím rather proactive about maintenance, I wanted to install a coolant by-pass filter before installing the new radiator.

There are several universal coolant filter heads to choose from with various inlet/outlet configurations and bracket options. Unsure where I would choose as my final mounting location, I went ahead and decided to go with the WIX filter head and a cheap WIX coolant filter. You get what you pay for, and WIX is not the most transparent company. I asked WIX what their micron rating was, and they said, ď27 micron.Ē Iím fairly sure that their filter isnít rated at 27um (absolute). I then asked WIX what their coolant filter flowed (gallons per minute) and they said, ďflow varies, the filter is designed to only accept about 10% of the fluid.Ē I find it frustrating when a company doesnít make their data known and they canĎt answer specific questions.

The Baldwin coolant filter B5134 is rated at 45um absolute at 100% efficiency and 20um absolute at 50% efficiency. So when WIX said that their filter is rated at 27 micron, I really wanted to know at what efficiency. Unfortunately, WIX didnít have an answer for me. Anyway, I decided to go with the WIX filter for test fitting purposes and to do an initial cleanup. Iíll eventually replace the WIX with a Donaldson ECF4085 coolant filter that is rated at 14um absolute. The Donaldson filter media is top quality and interval changes are rated at 150,000 miles, 4,000 hours, or 1 year; whichever comes first.

WIX Filter Head, Part# 33109
Spin-On Conversion Kit
Universal Mounting Base
11/16-16 Threaded Base Stud
3/8 NPT fittings

WIX/NAPA Coolant Filter, Part# 24070
Rated at 27 micron (efficiency is unknown)

I finally made a decision on where to put the coolant filter. I narrowed it down to three different locations with all but one requiring a custom bracket. After consulting with a local mechanic, we decided to put the coolant filter down on the front frame rail which was the location that didnít require fabricating a bracket. Itís the lowest point in the cooling system which is actually recommended by the manufacturer. Iím really happy with the install location, the ease of maintenance, and most of all, the added protection and cooling it will offer.

Initially I wanted to use a nicer ball valve without the handle, but since I was limited on time, I was able to test fit these valves without having to order them. We had plenty of room in the mounting location therefore the handles were not a concern.

Here's the inlet and outlet to and from the coolant filter

The coolant filter is tucked away behind the front bumper and protected by the radiator support and frame rail.

Old June 12th, 2012, 01:01
NAXJA Member

Re: Coolant Filter install - 2000 XJ

Looks good, that seems like a good idea for any XJ's cooling system.

Old June 12th, 2012, 01:03
NAXJA Forum User

Old June 12th, 2012, 01:11
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voteban View Post
Looks good, that seems like a good idea for any XJ's cooling system.

I noticed that the coolant in my overflow reservoir looked pretty fowl. So I decided to get out the shop (wet) Vac and clean it up. In order to reach the bottom of the reservoir, I added a few attachments.

Once I got down to the bottom, my Shop Vac was losing suction. So I pulled out the vacuum tube and found this at the bottom.

As you can see, this sludge is nice and pasty.

Lastly, I finally got her clean.

Old June 12th, 2012, 17:11
NAXJA Forum User

yuck! Great work on cleaning this up, and preventing that sludge in the future! I also spied your trans. filter.
Old June 12th, 2012, 18:35
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kndrewa View Post
yuck! Great work on cleaning this up, and preventing that sludge in the future! I also spied your trans. filter.
Yeah, it was a mess. I'm sure the coolant filter will do a good job of keeping the system clean. I put a transmission and power steering filter on all my rigs. They are easy to change and fairly inexpensive.

Old June 12th, 2012, 19:54
Dead man walking

since you're in NM i'm going to speculate and say the majority of that sludge is dust. next time unbolt the reservoir fill it 1/3 full of water and shake the hell out of it. repeat till clean. might save you some time cleaning your vac my rig spends 90% of it's time going fast in the desert so i know all about silt buildup.
Old June 12th, 2012, 22:06
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmJeeper View Post
since you're in NM i'm going to speculate and say the majority of that sludge is dust. next time unbolt the reservoir fill it 1/3 full of water and shake the hell out of it. repeat till clean. might save you some time cleaning your vac my rig spends 90% of it's time going fast in the desert so i know all about silt buildup.
I bought the XJ when I was living in Montana three years ago. I've only been in New Mexico for two years and the sludge pictures were taken the summer I moved here. But, it could have been dust from all those years in Montana. Thanks for the tips on cleaning the overflow.
Old June 12th, 2012, 22:44
NAXJA Forum User

dust is brutal out here. brutal.
Old June 13th, 2012, 13:12
NAXJA Forum User

Looks great!! BTW, I noticed a small drip of coolant near the filter neck... is that something that was just from the initial install/leftover or is it leaking?

This is something I'm considering doing on my '01 XJ due to the horrible condition my cooling system was in when I bought it used. Have replaced the Radiator, hoses, Water pump, thermostat and also the 0331 head since purchase... don't want to mess w/a dirty cooling system again!!!
Old June 13th, 2012, 18:57
NAXJA Forum User

I'm liking this. Keep us updated. When you change filters you should cut the old one open. I'm curious what it looks like in there.
Old June 13th, 2012, 19:04
Dead man walking

I sell quite a bit of the 4070 and 4071 filters out of my NAPA store, mainly to fleet operations. On most heavy equipment coolant filters are standard equipment.

As the Doctor said I'd be interested to see what it looks like when cut open.
Old June 13th, 2012, 19:58
NAXJA Forum User

are those inline magnetic trans filers really worth it?
Old June 13th, 2012, 20:16
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
Looks great!!
Thanks!

Quote:
BTW, I noticed a small drip of coolant near the filter neck... is that something that was just from the initial install/leftover or is it leaking?
Yeah, I took those pics as soon as we finished the install. I've been watching it the last few days and there haven't been any coolant leaks.

Quote:
This is something I'm considering doing on my '01 XJ due to the horrible condition my cooling system was in when I bought it used. Have replaced the Radiator, hoses, Water pump, thermostat and also the 0331 head since purchase... don't want to mess w/a dirty cooling system again!!!
I understand. I installed the new all aluminum FFD radiator and triple fan kit, new hoses, Amsoil Coolant, and the Amsoil Coolant Booster, so I wanted to make sure that my system was clean and continues to stay clean. The previous owner neglected the Jeep, so I wanted to go back and do it right. Coolant filters not only extend the life of your coolant, but they also extend the life of your water pump and heater core. With my install, the coolant must pass through the filter before it goes into the heater core.

Old June 13th, 2012, 20:21
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdrew17 View Post
are those inline magnetic trans filers really worth it?
I want to do what I can to keep the transmission in the best working condition. We know that transmission fluid is the life-blood to any transmission. Besides switching over to Amsoil ATF, I decided to go one step further and add an aftermarket transmission filter. After much research, I decided to go with the Magnefine filter.

Magnefine Transmission Filter
http://www.magnefinefilters.com
Fitting: 3/8”
Cost: $16.00

Features:
-Dual filtration - Magnet and filter media filters down to 3 micron and removes 99% of all wear metal contaminants.
-Full flow filter (Does not restrict flow and contains a built-in bypass system in case filter becomes clogged)
-Prolongs life of fluid
-Prolongs life of transmission
-Reduces the need to drop the pan to change OE filter.

I also added one to my power steering: