NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old April 25th, 2012, 12:41
NAXJA Forum User

no start, running lights come on when you turn the key etc

Alright my Jeep wont run, it'll barley start idle for a second than sputter out. Also my running lights come on when you turn the key. I think it might be the CPS but whenever I test it I dont get any readings. What do you guys think?
Old April 25th, 2012, 18:04
Freakish Hand Strength

Re: no start, running lights come on when you turn the key etc

I think you need to provide more information. Year, engine, transmission ?

Are all your tune-up parts fresh ? Why are the lights coming ON ? What have you tested and inspected ? Why are not getting any readings on the CPS test ?

Perform routine maintenance of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. You must remove, scrape, and clean until shiny, the cable/wire ends, and whatever they bolt to. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad connections, or poor grounds.

Have the battery, and the alternator Load Tested for proper function in a test machine that applies a simulated work load. Handheld testers are inaccurate and will often pass faulty parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Blanket caught in the rear liftgate latch. Now I can't open.
Old April 26th, 2012, 02:24
NAXJA Forum User

Re: no start, running lights come on when you turn the key etc

battery is less than a year old and mounted inside, battery cables are clean, grounds are clean. its an 87 with an 89 motor aw4