NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:06
NAXJA Forum User

rear wiper motor still not 3rd one!

Recently my rear wiper motor stopped working i checked the fuse and changed out the relay and didnt have much sucess the washer pump still works but the wiper will not move under any circumstances. i did some digging around online and found this is quite common and its more than likely that i need a new wiper motor so i went online to rockauto.com order a reman put it in tried to use it no sucess checked some of the wiring back there in spots where it is most likely to kink and break and found nothing. I sent the reman back and got another put that one in same think i changed the relay agian because it wasnt clicking and had no sucess so i sent that reman back as well and now have another reman in there all plugged in and its still not working. I am starting to run out of ideas and patience with this dang rear wiper. does anyone have any ideas as to what else could be wrong.
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:29
NAXJA Forum User

Re: rear wiper motor still not 3rd one!

use a mutimeter to check for voltage.

If you've checked the fuse, relay, and motor, check the switch (see if there is voltage going to the switch and leaving it.)

BTW: this isn't modified tech, belongs in OEM tech
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:30
NAXJA Forum User

double post, sorry
Old April 16th, 2012, 13:40
NAXJA Forum User

perhaps i looked at the wrong relay where is the relay for the rear wiper motor?
Old April 17th, 2012, 14:54
NAXJA Forum User

i am pretty sure i checked the wrong relay can someone tell me where the relay is actually located for the rear wiper motor?
Old April 17th, 2012, 15:57
NAXJA Member #1191

Does the 95 have a relay for the rear wiper motor? It does have a delay circuit that could fail but I'm not sure where it is located.

An easy first place to check for current (voltage) with your multimeter is at the fuse. Touch a good ground with the negative lead and probe both both sides of the socket for ~12 volts. If you don't have a meter, you can get one that will do for basic troubleshooting at Walmart for ~$10.
Old April 17th, 2012, 17:14
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Does the 95 have a relay for the rear wiper motor? It does have a delay circuit that could fail but I'm not sure where it is located.

An easy first place to check for current (voltage) with your multimeter is at the fuse. Touch a good ground with the negative lead and probe both both sides of the socket for ~12 volts. If you don't have a meter, you can get one that will do for basic troubleshooting at Walmart for ~$10.
pretty sure the 95's wiper motor relay is by the drivers kick panel in the junction box. but im not entirely sure... i am yet to find it on my 99!
Old April 17th, 2012, 17:55
NAXJA Member #1191

I was assuming that your problem with the wiper is on a 95 per your profile. Is it a 99?
Old April 17th, 2012, 18:10
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
I was assuming that your problem with the wiper is on a 95 per your profile. Is it a 99?
Yes its a 99 i guess when i picked my profile i didnt think anyone would think it meant 95 i thought it as a 99 with a 5 speed
Old April 17th, 2012, 19:06
NAXJA Member #1191

Look in "About me" after you click on your avatar. No big deal but people will sometimes look there (as I did) to find your model year if it is not in your post.
Old April 17th, 2012, 20:03
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Look in "About me" after you click on your avatar. No big deal but people will sometimes look there (as I did) to find your model year if it is not in your post.
whoops cant believe i said 95 but my friend did use to have a 1995 i guess i was thinking bout his jeep while i was typing
Old April 17th, 2012, 20:50
NAXJA Member #1191

That was easy -- guess we still haven't sorted out your wiper......
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:13
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
That was easy -- guess we still haven't sorted out your wiper......
No i am afriad we still havent i should metion that the wires for the new wiper motor are different in color from the old ones and to the plug it hooks up too, but this shouldnt affect it correct? I am up at college right now i possibly might go out and buy a meter or wait until i go home for the weekend on friday so i can test the voltage would it be alright if i told you my voltage on like friday and u can tell me where to go from there?
Old April 19th, 2012, 15:17
NAXJA Forum User

The '99 XJ doesn't have a relay for the rear wiper motor. Power for the motor origiates through a 20 Amp fuse #22 in the Junction Block (JB) (in the passenger footwell). Looking at the mini fuses in the JB, its the 7th fuse down in the rear bank of mini fuses. (RUN) Power goes from the fuse to the Rear Wiper Motor/Washer Switch to the rear wiper motor.

If the rear washer pump works, fuse 22 is good. If it doesn't the fuse may be blown or the switch is bad.

From the switch, the power wire goes through two connectors to get to the motor connectors before getting to the motor. The ground for the rear wiper motor is G304.

At the motor, detach the harness connector and check for 12 volts at pins 4 and 3 of the harness connector to chasis ground (Pin cavity 1) with the ignition switch in RUN, engine off, and the wiper switch in the WIPE position. Pin 4 to ground should read 12 volts at any time with the ignition switch in RUN however. Connector orientation: Looking at the harness connector, the pin cavity on your left is pin 1 (ground), and the one on your right is pin 4 (Fused Ignition Switch Output (RUN). The others are 2 (rear washer motor control) and 3 (Rear Wiper Motor Control).

Here's a pic of the location of ground G304 in a '99 XJ. Pic is a bit fuzzy but I think you can make out the numbers I wrote on the structure. You'll have to remove the spare tire, it's mount, and the trim panel to get at it. Note: I removed the wire loom from the harness you see when trying to locate a splice for my fuel pump (ground G302)

Old April 19th, 2012, 18:27
NAXJA Member #1191

Great writeup!