NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old March 17th, 2012, 23:15
NAXJA Member

What to do?

SO, The HPd30 is just not cutting it anymore.. on 35s, i was blowing axle shafts left and right, twisting inner splines, and stretching the eyes, Even with an open carrier.. I tossed in some alloys and that problem went away..

3 months later, I noticed the ring gear was chipped, and today.. the ring gear is 500 pieces..

My problem is, I have around a grand invested in the 30 just from the knuckle out.. (wj setup.. ruffstuff steering) I cringe at having to redo all that..

So I thought about doing a G2 Rubicon axle, $2500 buys everything from the balljoints in.. alloys, geared/detroit locked etc.. Swap my knuckles on.. and bolt it in to the rig.. Great, Now i have a LP44 thats just as strong as a massively built 30..

I have a 79 Bronco HP44 on the floor of the garage that i got for free, but i really dont have the time to have it re-tubed and cut down to waggy width, plus all the little stuff like going Radius arm etc.. i'm really frowning on the amount of work it looks like this thing will take..

What would you do? I have about $3k to spend.. And i'd like to call it DONE for that budget.. anyone?
Old March 17th, 2012, 23:39
Associate

Re: What to do?

why not just replace the d30 center with the d44 center? that way you can keep the outers you have invested so much money into...

the lp44 is not really an upgrade over the HP30. I wouldn't go that route.
Old March 17th, 2012, 23:43
Updated to 3.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockclimber View Post
why not just replace the d30 center with the d44 center? that way you can keep the outers you have invested so much money into...

the lp44 is not really an upgrade over the HP30. I wouldn't go that route.
X2
Old March 18th, 2012, 08:08
NAXJA Member

I'd call Currie and get a price on a HP44/Detroit. Not sure how much it would be, but it will have stronger tubes and brackets. Or, I'd truss the D30 and get a hefty steel diff cover and put in a new ring and pinion. One of your problems is that you're still going to have the 27 spline stub shafts which are OK with 35's but if you ever went to 37's they won't cut it at all.

If you really don't want to be concerned with the D30 housing and gear strength, and you can't do a front axle yourself (you need a hard to find D44 center), then your only real choice is to start making calls to axle builders and get prices on what you want.
Thanks to , Falken Tires, Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines, Ten Factory Axles, Brown Dog, Hooker Harness, BILSTEIN, Raceline Wheels, WARN, G&G Auto Repair/Off Road, Yukon Gear and Axle, Full Traction, Cal, Russ, James, and many, many others.
Old March 18th, 2012, 08:40
NAXJA Forum User

If you are going to go the Currie route, pop for the HP 9". Not a cheap axle, but I doubt it will break any time soon...
Old March 18th, 2012, 09:17
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o-gauge-steamer View Post
If you are going to go the Currie route, pop for the HP 9". Not a cheap axle, but I doubt it will break any time soon...
Why?

Not a bad choice, but more expensive and less ground clearance than a D44.
Thanks to , Falken Tires, Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines, Ten Factory Axles, Brown Dog, Hooker Harness, BILSTEIN, Raceline Wheels, WARN, G&G Auto Repair/Off Road, Yukon Gear and Axle, Full Traction, Cal, Russ, James, and many, many others.
Old March 18th, 2012, 11:38
NAXJA Member

Ok so option number 4 came up, I priced out a TJ width dynatrac prorock44. This axle utilizes a custom high clearance Hp44 center with 5/16" DOM tubes extra beefy cast C's. And uses The stronger 8.8" JK d44 carrier and R&P setup.

Can get one from a sponsor on pirate ready to bolt in, 4.56/detroit with alloy shafts for around $3500

Hmm
Old March 18th, 2012, 11:40
NAXJA Forum User

I would talk to KNA about re-tubing that Hp44. He is very busy man, but when he gets on your project he's like a one man machine.
Old March 18th, 2012, 12:15
Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-ZJ-SCOTT View Post
Ok so option number 4 came up, I priced out a TJ width dynatrac prorock44. This axle utilizes a custom high clearance Hp44 center with 5/16" DOM tubes extra beefy cast C's. And uses The stronger 8.8" JK d44 carrier and R&P setup.

Can get one from a sponsor on pirate ready to bolt in, 4.56/detroit with alloy shafts for around $3500

Hmm
price out a TJ width 60 and see what the difference is.

I would not dump that kind of money into a 44.
Old March 18th, 2012, 12:39
NAXJA Member

Quote:
price out a TJ width 60 and see what the difference is.

I would not dump that kind of money into a 44.
While initially I agree, to do a crate 60 ready to swap in, I'm at over $6k.

I know a 60 can be built for my budget. But the time and effort peicing it together is not in the cards right now, plus I want the jeep back on the trail ASAP. Building a 60 could take 6months

Last edited by NW-ZJ-SCOTT; March 18th, 2012 at 12:43.
Old March 18th, 2012, 13:12
Associate

there is no real way to upgrade on the cheap.

IMHO spending 3500 on a 44 isn't smart. unless you can also get 35 spline shafts, and larger ball-joints....then again I spent almost that much on my turd, so what do I know

I think you could probably get the HP44 center you have re-tubed with your existing tubes so you can use your existing alloys, outers, steering, brakes, etc for about half what that dynatrac axle will cost you.

heck you could probably do most of it yourself, using a cut and sleeve method. that way you could turn your knuckles for good caster and set the pinion angle at the same time. then all you have to do is burn on new CA mounts.

then you can take some of that money, and put it towards building a 60. a 44 ain't that much stronger than the 30, once you have it built, you will start pushing it, and want to upgrade.
Old March 18th, 2012, 13:28
NAXJA Member

Quote:
there is no real way to upgrade on the cheap.

IMHO spending 3500 on a 44 isn't smart. unless you can also get 35 spline shafts, and larger ball-joints....then again I spent almost that much on my turd, so what do I know

I think you could probably get the HP44 center you have re-tubed with your existing tubes so you can use your existing alloys, outers, steering, brakes, etc for about half what that dynatrac axle will cost you.

heck you could probably do most of it yourself, using a cut and sleeve method. that way you could turn your knuckles for good caster and set the pinion angle at the same time. then all you have to do is burn on new CA mounts.

then you can take some of that money, and put it towards building a 60. a 44 ain't that much stronger than the 30, once you have it built, you will start pushing it, and want to upgrade.
the 44 will likely have different sized tubes than the 30. i know the 44 i have has larger OD tubes than the 30. i was thinking of throwing my d44 c's on my 30, but i couldnt think of a decent way of reducing the d44 c's to the d30 tube diameter without getting fairly ghetto. how is it typically done when working with 2 different tube diameters? i guess he can always bore out the c's to fit, but that doesnt sound like the best plan either.
What about getting a lp d44 from a chevy, which is a dime a dozen and cutting off the tubes and sleeving them to the hpd44 tubes? then you'll have locking hubs, bigger brakes, and flat top knuckles. i dont think that would be too hard to do.
Old March 18th, 2012, 13:36
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
i was thinking of throwing my d44 c's on my 30, but i couldnt think of a decent way of reducing the d44 c's to the d30 tube diameter without getting fairly ghetto.
im not 100% sure what your goal is of doing that, but here is a thread that might prove interesting to you:
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=67134
Old March 18th, 2012, 14:16
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAhasnoWAVES View Post
im not 100% sure what your goal is of doing that, but here is a thread that might prove interesting to you:
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=67134
locking hubs and high steer. and thanks!
Old March 18th, 2012, 17:01
Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
the 44 will likely have different sized tubes than the 30. i know the 44 i have has larger OD tubes than the 30. i was thinking of throwing my d44 c's on my 30, but i couldnt think of a decent way of reducing the d44 c's to the d30 tube diameter without getting fairly ghetto. how is it typically done when working with 2 different tube diameters? i guess he can always bore out the c's to fit, but that doesnt sound like the best plan either.
What about getting a lp d44 from a chevy, which is a dime a dozen and cutting off the tubes and sleeving them to the hpd44 tubes? then you'll have locking hubs, bigger brakes, and flat top knuckles. i dont think that would be too hard to do.
I was under the impression that the 44 had the same OD as the 30, but a slightly smaller ID because the tube thickness.

everything I have found says its a 2.75" OD just like the D30...