NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old March 15th, 2012, 07:50
NAXJA Forum User

Re: gears

And OMF'ingG...if another person reccomends 4.88's with 31-33's as the best thing since sliced bread, I'm gonna puke
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:21
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious View Post
And OMF'ingG...if another person reccomends 4.88's with 31-33's as the best thing since sliced bread, I'm gonna puke
yeah that just sounds like way too over geared... sounds like it would be bad for the tranny or something.. looking into finding someone willing to help me for food and drink etc
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:23
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious View Post
i absolutely loved my 5.38's with 35's.

i can only imagine it being very similar to 4.88's and 33's
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:32
NAXJA Forum User

Sure off the line with 4.88s and 33s was nice.

Cruising on the highway wasn't the greatest.

I tend to do anywhere from 70-80 on the highway regularly (as in everyday).

At 70 mph I was approaching 2700 rpm.

Maybe some people do 60 mph all the time and that's fine, but I don't.

It always just felt like I was spinning it too much. Not that it ever did any damage.
Old March 15th, 2012, 11:24
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparManiac View Post

It always just felt like I was spinning it too much.
if you ever say that about your 440 i am going to slap you across the face with a dead rooster fish
Old March 15th, 2012, 11:38
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGarfX View Post
the work itself isn't all that hard its just time consuming, precise, and requires a lot of patience, plus the tools themselves will cost as much as the labor to get them installed..

I would have a QUALIFIED shop do them, if you mess them up or just don't get them perfect you WILL have noisy gears and run the possibility of them jamming and locking up (worst case). If they end up being noisy you have to start all over again, if a pattern is worn into them though you most likely will never get them right again so you will need new gears. Set up gears are also something you should have as well as a press, if you have the guts then try it yourself but I sure as hell would be pissed if my pinion gear collided with the ring gear wrong at 60 mph locking up an axle and causing an accident, my xj is a DD though.
I think you might not know what you are talking about, at all, from this statement. They won't lock up, but they will overheat and probably wear badly and you'll need new gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparManiac View Post
Sure off the line with 4.88s and 33s was nice.

Cruising on the highway wasn't the greatest.

I tend to do anywhere from 70-80 on the highway regularly (as in everyday).

At 70 mph I was approaching 2700 rpm.

Maybe some people do 60 mph all the time and that's fine, but I don't.

It always just felt like I was spinning it too much. Not that it ever did any damage.
I run mine at like 3k all the time... 3.55s/ax15/33s kinda sucks.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old March 15th, 2012, 14:56
NAXJA Forum User

I plan 4.88's with 33s on my 4 banger... I dont see them being very nice on 31's. Had 4.88's in my old yota with 31's and the thing would spin in 1st AND 2nd gear... with a 4 banger. Also hit about 3000 rpms at 70, which is what speed a good 90% of my driving is done at, wasnt awfully fun.. I could only imagine a 4.0 behind that setup..
Old March 15th, 2012, 15:40
NAXJA Forum User

4.88 seems like a good gearing for 35's that do a lot of road/highway as well right? thats what i have been led to believe
(btw thanks for all this input, very helpful)
Old March 15th, 2012, 15:46
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

yup... be careful and make sure the setup is perfect though if you're putting 4.88s in a 30. a 30 on 35s = ticking time bomb if you get on the throttle and don't have it built to the hilt.

(yes... I just opened that can of worms.)
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old March 15th, 2012, 16:40
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
yup... be careful and make sure the setup is perfect though if you're putting 4.88s in a 30. a 30 on 35s = ticking time bomb if you get on the throttle and don't have it built to the hilt.

what would u do to try and avoid it from "exploding"? i thought 35 was the max safe tire size.. on a d30
Old March 15th, 2012, 16:49
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpeckham22 View Post
what would u do to try and avoid it from "exploding"? i thought 35 was the max safe tire size.. on a d30
It's more the R&P size than the tire size...but others will disagree, despite first hand experience and convincing reasoning otherwise
Old March 15th, 2012, 16:56
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post

Its not the gear ratio its the 30 itself I've personally seen 3.73's blow up on 33's and just about any other d30 ratio with breakage
Old March 15th, 2012, 16:58
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpeckham22 View Post
Swap. In a d44 or 60 or just waste money on the 30
Old March 15th, 2012, 17:00
NAXJA Forum User

does a front 44 or 60 just bolt in? (00'xj)
Old March 15th, 2012, 17:03
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBZ95Xj View Post
Its not the gear ratio its the 30 itself I've personally seen 3.73's blow up on 33's and just about any other d30 ratio with breakage
I've seen my fair share of OEM (open style) carriers split in half...blown up spiders...blown joints from spit out c-clips/stretched ears...tubes spun in housing...