NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > OEM Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old March 3rd, 2012, 07:35
NAXJA Member

this is probably normal isn't it?

Trying to repair/replace a hacked up aftermarket stereo installation in my XJ... OK, so I need to replace the door panels. Find some on eBay, but they're the wrong color (both tan, but different years. Haven't seen SE door panels w/o power accessories elsewhere though.) So I can't install them for real until my SEM color chips come in so I can order vinyl dye. I also can't get the old ones off because the damn christmas trees are gripping so tight... guess I need one of those plier type trim tools to get them off without ripping the panels apart. Need to repair my driver's side speaker wiring as one of the wires is broken probably in the bellows. Can't get the kick panel off... I've removed a nut that I found but it's still on there but good. Can't get my fat arse under the dash to see what's going on... also need to remove and transfer arm rests from old door panels to new as the "new" ones are worn and peeling... looks like there's 19 (!?!?!?) heat melted things holding them on so I have to drill each one of those and then go to the store and buy more screws and washers because I know I don't have enough hardware (looks like about #8 sheet metal screws will work, anyone else done this?) all this and I figured this would be an easy Saturday morning project... *sigh*

I figured I'd be putting Dynamat in by now, but not so much.

Please tell me this isn't normal for working on a Heep and that I'm just excessively cranky because it's raining and I'm sleep deprived... (I'm just ignoring the bad noise the motor is making for now because I'd already ordered all this stuff and need to get the boxes out of the basement so I can hang out and watch TV down there again without staring at a coffee table full of car parts)
Old March 3rd, 2012, 08:18
NAXJA Forum User

Re: this is probably normal isn't it?

Just use a screwdriver for the christmas trees, they'll come out.
Old March 4th, 2012, 04:20
NAXJA Member

Ended up using a thin trowel... Screwdriver was bending. I don't have wiring for rear speakers, still frustrated!
Old March 4th, 2012, 04:31
NAXJA Member

I have a full set of tan door panels, non power window. Just offering them out if you need them.
Old March 4th, 2012, 04:33
NAXJA Member

Which tan? I need "camel.". Let me know cause it would save me some work.
Old March 4th, 2012, 04:45
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N_99xj View Post
Which tan? I need "camel.". Let me know cause it would save me some work.
Nor sure what the camel color is but these panels came out of a 96 sport, 5spd, gold exterior

Here are pics, I no longer have the cranks, I used two of them in my MJ

Here is the dash, still got that too I think, you would have to change VIN tabs.

Old March 4th, 2012, 04:48
NAXJA Member

Well, I just realized that you are working on a 97+ so these will not help you much.
Old March 4th, 2012, 05:31
NAXJA Member

Yup... But the color looks right . At least for the few panels I'be seen the color is on a paper tag on the back of the panel. No matter, I can make what I have work, just need vinyl dye.
Old March 4th, 2012, 08:13
NAXJA Member

more dumb question time... can someone please confirm that C314 (the connector between the front-rear harness and the sound bar) is supposed to be on the *driver's* side quarter panel? I've been staring at the wiring diagrams and that connector is "not shown" and I'm wondering if I wired in my sound bar backwards and that the connector is not on the opposite side. I don't really think so, but let me know if it is so I don't start hacking and slicing unnecessarily.
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:13
NAXJA Member

never mind... since I have the whole rear end taken apart what's two more trim pieces? C314 is on the PASSENGER side. And I do have speaker wiring in the back. Now here's the difficulty - apparently the connector for the sound bar harness changed between '97 and '99, so I still am faced with the dilemma of sourcing a '99 sound bar harness or just getting silly with the scotch-locks, butt splices, etc.

On the upside, my hatch latch now functions properly. woo hoo.