NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 7th, 2011, 15:59
Everyone says I'm a jerk.

Re: Team NAXJA/Petty Cash Racing stock class KOH XJ build

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXNAYXJ View Post
Starting to look more and more like a racecar:

Where's the spoiler?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent
Us normal people...
Old December 7th, 2011, 16:19
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post
Where's the spoiler?
Richard won't let me put one on.

-Matt
Old December 7th, 2011, 20:24
NAXJA Forum User

shame on him
Old December 7th, 2011, 20:42
www.urfracing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post
Where's the spoiler?
It goes where those tabs are at the back of the roof halo.
Old December 8th, 2011, 07:09
NAXJA Member # 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXNAYXJ View Post
Richard won't let me put one on.

-Matt
Richard is a spoiler spoiler....

Looking good, men!
Old December 8th, 2011, 11:32
NAXJA Forum User

Nice build, we are all tuned in watching this in our office
Old December 9th, 2011, 22:12
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks for representing with what looks to be a solid Cherokee.
Old December 9th, 2011, 22:43
Got Shafted

Should be fun with competition like Walker Evans, Rod Hall and Scott Hartman to name a few. Good luck guys
Old December 11th, 2011, 08:31
NAXJA Member

I don't know about Walker Evan's and Scott. Scott sold the Dust Junkies' LJ and bought a 3000 class car, he was going to enter the LJ. I hear Walker was entered on a dare but doesn't actually have a car to race. Lot's of rumors floating around about Rod Hall, we'll see if he shows up and if so in what.

We're most concerned about John Currie driving the Savvy Off Road LJ. They have a definite strategy for winning, we'll see if it works. The car is very nicely built, using Currie D60's and aluminum Savvy bumpers, rockers, and body armor. They have the best stroker motor Hesco will build, so they'll have some power. The car should hold together.....we'll see.

We also don't know what other people are building, could be some surprises in this brand new class.
Thanks to , Falken Tires, Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines, Ten Factory Axles, Brown Dog, Hooker Harness, BILSTEIN, Raceline Wheels, WARN, G&G Auto Repair/Off Road, Yukon Gear and Axle, Full Traction, Cal, Russ, James, and many, many others.
Old December 14th, 2011, 08:03
NAXJA Member

Thought I'd talk a little about the reasons for the cage design. We decided to do a roof halo above the roof mostly for head clearance. An inside cage puts the tube very close the your heads when you're wearing a helmet. Rules spec a minumum of 3" of head clearance to any tube, and there's no way to do that on an XJ with a totally internal cage. While it would pass tech because there's just no option, we though the external cage would be safer for our own heads. Plus, because it's an Ultra4 car, and so we race in rocks, if we do lay it over we have some roof protection. We can also get away with the look of it because it's a rock racer.

We would have liked the outside of the halo to be further outward, better to protect the roof when leaning the top against rocks, but rules specify that all cage tubes must intersect, so the down bars had to meet the halo tubes. I made the down tubes as far outward as was possible without dramatically removing sheetmetal and ruining any strength in the stock structure, and made the halo the width to meet those tubes.

It would have been nice to make some sexy bends in the down bars, making it a little more cool looking and getting the bars closer to the stock B,C, and D pillars, but to whatever degree the bars angled in at the top would make the roof halo narrower. So, I made the down bars straight and as outward at the top as possible. Straight tubes are stronger than bent tubes anyway. Also, the rules specify that foot plates cannot be welded to sheet metal, they must be bolted using backing plates, so the A, B, and C pillar foot plates are bolted. A D pillar hoop is optional, plus that foot plate is over the frame, so that foot plate got welded in, which also strengthens above the rear shackle box.
Thanks to , Falken Tires, Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines, Ten Factory Axles, Brown Dog, Hooker Harness, BILSTEIN, Raceline Wheels, WARN, G&G Auto Repair/Off Road, Yukon Gear and Axle, Full Traction, Cal, Russ, James, and many, many others.
Old December 15th, 2011, 23:16
NAXJA Warranty Voider

It can be hard sometimes to find time to update a build thread.

Its too easy to toss some blingy photos up and not really update the tech. We're trying, honest.

One of the problems you run into on a Cherokee is front bumpstop posts bending when you hit hard.

(image stolen from a google search).

Jeepspeed guys have worked out a few very good fixes for this, but our class rules don't permit us to cut the inner fender, which rules those fixes out - but we did our best to emulate them.

I didn't get a good pic of the XJ bumpstop post with the rubber and coating removed, but basically its a sheetmetal tower stitched to flat plate (the fender well). It bends and folds in on itself, causing the failure seen above.

We welded plate in above the bumpstop tower on the inside of the fender, and then tied that into the cage.

Below, we cleaned the tower up, cut up an old steel coil spacer to fit snug against the bumpstop tower and the fender.

Welded that in upside down, to tower and the fender, braced against the plate above. Now in order for the bumpstop to bend, it has to take the entire inner fender along with it.

I'm sure there are better ways to address this, but we're limited by not being able to cut the fender at all. I'm pretty sure this will hold up just fine. I hope it will, as we won't be able to get it off again...

Last edited by cal; July 20th, 2017 at 12:37.
Old December 15th, 2011, 23:19
NAXJA Warranty Voider

James and I wanted to bolt up the front axle preparing to roll the car out of the garage, but Richard was still working under it in the rear.

Let me tell you, that Full Traction kit has some wicked droop. I was *really* surprised when James rolled the old d30 under the car and bolted it up - while the car was still lifted and Richard was still welding..

I wonder how much droop it will retain once we get a trackbar on. We'll be running 13" Bilstien 9100's up front, and thanks to the Full Traction guys will have no problem using every little bit of it.

Last edited by cal; July 20th, 2017 at 12:37.
Old December 15th, 2011, 23:24
NAXJA Warranty Voider

The obvious tire for this class is the Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar. Goodyear was kind enough to give us a half dozen of them. They wouldnt bolt up to our old Champion 16" beadlocks - so we set Matt to making calls. He brought Raceline on board with a killer deal on some sexy sexy wheels.

We went 9.5x17 with 4" backspacing. Truth be told, the wheels are a little wide for our tires, which may hurt us just a little on the rocks.. but it will help our footprint some which may be a big help at Glen Helen next year. We could have gone with an 8" wide wheel, but at 4.75" backspacing - a little too tight on an already tightly packaged front end.

At the end of the day, I don't think we can have a better wheel and tire package - I'm very excited to see how these do! If they work half as good as they look.....

Last edited by cal; July 20th, 2017 at 12:38.
Old December 15th, 2011, 23:33
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Our rear end is an XJ D44 with an ARB and 35 spline Ten Factory axles. We really don't need to do much to it, but felt a light truss wouldnt hurt for some of the harder hits.

Eric got it started and looking good, but he had family obligations and to leave.

I plated it in and left it for Richard to weld. As you can see my skills are in a data center and not with a plasma cutter.. =) Not the prettiest thing in the world, but it should get the job done and is not too heavy.

Old December 15th, 2011, 23:38
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Solid gave us one of their high quality Dana 44 third members. I had Currie tube it up for us with some TJ inner C's. Yukon gave us a Grizzly locker to drop in, and we'll run it with my old Super 30 inner axles. On the outers we'll do WJ knuckles with a Warn 5x5.5 hub kit, with custom brakes done by Mr.Blaine at Black Magic Brakes. It should be very light (well, relative) and very strong.

Not many pictures to show here yet, but I'll drop a little for you.

[