NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 4th, 2017, 16:56
NAXJA Forum User

Center Inlet/ Center Outlet muffler fitment

So I bought a Borla XR-1 (40942) muffler with the following specs:

2.5 in. Inlet - Centered
2.5 in. Outlet - Centered
16 in. x 4.5 in. x 7.88 in. Case Size

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Performa...&t_pn=BOR40942

It looks like I might have effed up because it appears the outlet should be offset according to the diagrams I've looked at. Can the muffler still be installed on my rig? If so, can it be done in my driveway (like I was hoping with the help of youtube vids) or should I take it to a muffler shop? I'm also worried about clearance issues as I still have a 4.5" lift and a ZJ gas tank skid plate to install. Any help is appreciated!

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
113K miles
I6 4.0 litre
AW4
NP231 Transfer Case
Old December 4th, 2017, 19:02
NAXJA Member

Re: Center Inlet/ Center Outlet muffler fitment

If you want it bad enough anything is possible. The easiest would be to exchange the muffler for the correct one. If not a couple of bends, a welder and a saw and it will fit. Can you do it in your driveway? Depends on your skill level and insanity. When I was young I did a lot of things to my race cars and hotrod that "couldn't be dine" simply because I didn't know it couldn't be done so I did it. Didn't always come out well and often wasn't the best way but damnit I did it.
Old December 4th, 2017, 19:10
NAXJA Forum User

I can't exchange. It was a private party sale. I checked quadratec and 4wheelparts prior to purchasing and they both considered it a "fit".

I guess I'll have to take it to a muffler shop. Hope it's not too bad.
Old December 4th, 2017, 23:31
NAXJA Member

Really shouldn't be too bad, a couple of bends to line up and a weld or two and you should be fine. Without seeing the muffler and tailpipe it's hard to say for sure but I can think of a couple of ways off the top of my head to line things up.