NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 31st, 2011, 21:40
NAXJA Forum User

Remote steering pump fluid reservoir for stock pump

Has anyone done a mod consisting of replacing a stock power steering fluid reservoir with a remote one (aluminum cylinder), keeping the stock pump? The reservoir on my 99 Classic 4.0I XJ is leaking and I can get a remote canister from a friend's swap. I don't want to replace the pump which is working fine. Thanks in advance
Old November 1st, 2011, 08:05
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Remote steering pump fluid reservoir for stock pump

Keep in mind that the pump is not positive displacement. That means it will not draw fluid into it, it has to be gravity fed. I looked into this when I put in the SuperCharger and was not able to locate a suitably high enough place to mount the reservoir. I spoke with the folks at KRC and AGR and both agreed. The bottom of the tank needs to be above the inlet to the pump or it will starve and self destruct.

What I finally decided was that it could not be easily done. A horizontal tank mounted up by the radiator would work except for when going down something steep. Then the level would drop to the point of starvation. Mounting on the firewall looked good until I took measurements and calculated the angle. Starvation again.

I am hopeful that someone her has been successful and will perhaps share a photo of the install. It is something I still would like to do as it should reduce the fluid temps a tad.
Old November 1st, 2011, 09:47
NAXJA Member

You'll have to get a fitting installed on your stock pump for the hose to the reservoir. Get another stock reservoir, they're cheap.
Thanks to , Falken Tires, Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines, Ten Factory Axles, Brown Dog, Hooker Harness, BILSTEIN, Raceline Wheels, WARN, G&G Auto Repair/Off Road, Yukon Gear and Axle, Full Traction, Cal, Russ, James, and many, many others.
Old November 1st, 2011, 22:35
NAXJA Forum User

The 4 cylinders use a pump that ( I think) would fit our brackets and uses a remote reservoir. The tank mounts on the core support.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 08:55
NAXJA Forum User

It seems to me you could use an accumulator (like a remote reservoir for a shock) to keep the fluid pressurized going to the pump and also absorb the extra pressure as the fluid heats up during use. It would have to be bled thoroughly though. You end up with a closed, pressurized system that should never be able to starve the pump.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 10:05
NAXJA Forum User

Here is the thing about just replacing the reservoir. You can't. Last year I looked everywhere (inclusing the dreaded dealer) and found that if I wanted just the reservoir, I would have to hit the JY.

If anyone has found a source, please post.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 10:22
Salton of Stuck

YJ's used a remote res, on what looked to be the same pump.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 10:29
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by o-gauge-steamer View Post
Here is the thing about just replacing the reservoir. You can't. Last year I looked everywhere (inclusing the dreaded dealer) and found that if I wanted just the reservoir, I would have to hit the JY.

If anyone has found a source, please post.
Yep, you can. Crown automotive sells the resevoir. They are listed for only up to I think a 96 year (I can't remember exactly what year), then they only list a pump and reservoir together but I know for a fact that just the reservoir will still fit on a '99 pump.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 08:36
NAXJA Forum User

ZJ reservoirs (from the 5.2 or the 5.9) fit also. I am running one on my Heep. Needed the side mounted return to clear the gear case of the Supercharger.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 18:34
NAXJA Member

What about mounting the ps pump down where the alternator is and relocating the alternator up top? Now it is easy to mount a reservoir above the pump and the alternator won't die in every mud hole.
Old March 24th, 2012, 10:08
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachandandy View Post
What about mounting the ps pump down where the alternator is and relocating the alternator up top? Now it is easy to mount a reservoir above the pump and the alternator won't die in every mud hole.
That would be a good solution but would be a lot of work.
Old March 24th, 2012, 11:37
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by souske View Post
YJ's used a remote res, on what looked to be the same pump.
I use a YJ pump and remote reservoir with a late model manifold. I had to drill out two of the three threaded holes to use the long bolts that go thru the pump to the manifold. The third bolt was left short and attaches to the bracket. I also had to swap pulleys to keep proper belt alignment.
Old March 25th, 2012, 10:18
NAXJA Forum User

^^Could you post photos of the installation? I would be very interest in where you put the reservoir.

Thanks!
Old March 26th, 2012, 09:08
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by o-gauge-steamer View Post
^^Could you post photos of the installation? I would be very interest in where you put the reservoir.

Thanks!
X2 I would like to see how that was done too.
Old March 26th, 2012, 21:20
NAXJA Forum User

@ o-gauge & jeeperjohn, it's not an XJ but a 4.0 swapped into a Scout. I could post pics but it wouldn't help with how to shoehorn the the reservoir into an XJ (and it might not be well received).