NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > OEM Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old October 12th, 2011, 23:12
NAXJA Forum User

Anyone ever replaced the window mechanism?

I ended up selling my xj to a family friend.

There were originally 3 of the 4 windows cranks, but she somehow lost 2 of them and went against my advice and decided to use pliers instead of getting replacements.

All of the splines are now completely ripped off of the stub that the cranks connect to. Does anyone know if I have to pick up whole new doors? Or can I just pull that crank/gear assembly from a donor at the pick-a-part?
Old October 13th, 2011, 05:34
I worry when rattles stop

Re: Anyone ever replaced the window mechanism?

You should be able to either pull donor cranks from a junkyard or pick up NOS parts from someplace like TeamCherokee. The biggest issue you are likely going to run into in getting either the damaged ones out or donor ones out is that (at least on some years) they used steel rivets to attach everything so you're going to need a drill and some good sharp bits (I think I used 3/16" or 1/4"). You definitely do not need new doors.
Old October 20th, 2011, 15:03
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Anyone ever replaced the window mechanism?

I just did my 89's passenger side for the same reason. Drill out the rivets and replace with bolts and nuts. It was cheaper for me to buy off ebay then go "junkin" for a replacement. I also replaced the window channel runs and window seals, it made a huge difference in how easy they crank up and down.