• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AJ’S ARMOR meets Warrior Products. Urban's Street Bumper.

urban yan

NAXJA Forum User
I’ve been floating around the idea of replacing my bumper for quite some time. The bull bar was a snow trap, the hella 500s had a poor light
pattern for street use, and the factory bumper caps had a way of breaking loose all too often. I was dead set on a stealthier/ more functional
one piece set-up.

There were quite a few aftermarket options, but I wanted something with an oem feel. The Warrior Products bumper was close; unfortunately,
it was better suited for pre97 XJs, so I dropped AJ’s ARMOR a line to discuss the idea of modifying one for my 01. The list was extensive:
I wanted fender flare extensions, 2 sets of light pockets for my Hella Micro DEs, built-in brackets for my ballasts, an airdam, clearance for
my tow hooks, support tabs for the fender liner AND it had to maintain an oem feel. Thankfully AJ was willing to tackle the project; he was
intrigued at the prospect of building a street/oem bumper.

Several months of brainstorming/sketches/ work later we had our final product. I think it looks pretty damn good. Many thanks to AJ for the
incredible work, Talyn for some solid advice, and me... for having such awesome, AWESOME ideas. Enough yapping; onto the pics.

AJs4.jpg

AJs5.jpg

AJs6.jpg

Inside view:
lights-rear-01.jpg

And here are W.I.P. pics
AJs1.jpg

AJs2.jpg

AJs3.jpg

:thumbup:

Looks real cool. That WP bumper looks good with a lot of the original lines cleaned up.

Now also I realize that my WP bumper was supposed to have that gap right where the front clip and fender meet. I don't see what purpose that serves.

We need a night shot!

you effed up bad dude. all that work and no recess for the plate? cmon.
This bumper actually has more ground clearance than the factory bumper, and I do have a skid plate sitting in my shed. I haven’t decided if I want to install it; afterall, those trips to the grocery store can get a bit treacherous... with the clean flat parking lots and all.

Now also I realize that my WP bumper was supposed to have that gap right where the front clip and fender meet. I don't see what purpose that serves.

Those fender gaps are a major pet peeve of mine as well, but my options were limited. Those WP bumpers were made to better fit pre97 XJs since their fenders wrap right into their airdam. I did contact WP to inquire if they had plans to make something that fits 97+ XJs, but they didn’t GAF, so I had to make other arrangements.

We need a night shot!
The 3000k bulbs used in my inner Micro DEs were cooked, so I had to order a set yesterday. I'll take some pics once I get them installed.

This bumper actually has more ground clearance than the factory bumper, and I do have a skid plate sitting in my shed. I haven’t decided if I want to install it; afterall, those trips to the grocery store can get a bit treacherous... with the clean flat parking lots and all.

I think he means front license plate.

It looks great!

Last edited:
I like how the fender flare is incorporated into the bumper. Kudos to both you and AJ for deigning/building a bumper that not only looks stock but integrates so wonderfully.

Mother of God I swear we have the same brain sometimes...

No joke, I've been planning on doing this for months. Warrior bumper, reinforced mounting with d-rings, flare extensions, and frenched foglights. Props for the [yet again] amazing work. (You too AJ!!)

Honestly I'd modify the bumper first. From my experiences, steal is much easier and more forgiving to work with than plastic. Looks like all you need to do it add some boxing around the bottom of the flare to shrink the gay... I can sling a mean welder/angle grinder, but unfortunately you're a little far.

Thanks for posting these pics. What you and AJ were able to come up with looks great. I have a Warrior Products bumper...might have to do something like this to mine over the winter.

Ballpark guess, I'd say close to $600 after the mods. But UY lives in Cana-don't, so I'm sure it cost a TON to ship it up there. The bumper un-modded is around $300. Let's see how close I am...

Back