• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can NSS cause P1694?

philthyphil

NAXJA Forum User
1997 4.0 aw4 4x4
Ok so the p1694 saga continues, tried another tcm after doing all the pre- trouble shooting and p1694 still comes up, and cant be cleared. Started looking at the NSS (which already been cleaned and re greased) cleaned the connectors, and plugged it back in and still got the code. Went a step further and removed it entirely and noticed a bulge in the loom that was taped up. This is where i need the help. The red wire from the connector is going no where it is just heat shrinked at its end. and all the other wires have been spliced. From what i see it looks like someone spliced the wrong junk yard NSS to the original connector.
My connector has seven wires and the NSS side only has 6 wires and one of the splices two colors don't match. This is wrong right? And could this cause P1694.. cause I really need to pass the SMOG test. Thanks
...found this chart but the color codes don't match mine, but the pin placement is the same... Pin 3 red with black tracer is going no where.

NSS or the CPS. Test both.

DTC P1694 will set if no CCd bus messages are received from PCM for 20 seconds or invalid messages are received for 20 seconds.

Possible Causes

Failed Crank Position Sensor
CCD Bus (-) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
CCD Bus (+) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
Transmission CCD bus wiring damaged.
Faulty TCM.

Failed CPS Symptoms -

-Fuel gauge and voltage gauges may not work or display properly.
-You sometimes will have No Bus on the odometer after 30-60 seconds.
-NO spark at the spark plugs.
-Fuel pressure is OK at the fuel rail.

If the CPS is failed sometimes the OBDII code reader cannot make a connection to the computer or cannot read Check Engine Light/MIL codes because the CPS has failed.

Crank sensors can have intermittent "thermal failure". This means that the sensor fails when engine gets hot, but works again when it cools back down. CPS failure with the JEEP 4.0 L is common at 80,000-100,000 and will often cause secondary Check Engine Light/MIL codes.

Diagnostic steps to confirm the CPS is the cause of your no-start

You might be able to verify a bad cps, by unplugging it, and turning the ignition key to on. If the voltage gauge and/or the fuel gauge now displays correctly, replace the CPS.

Crankshaft Position Sensor TESTING PROCEDURE 1991 - 2001 4.0L H.O. engines

1.Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.
2.Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (SEE Image). Ohmmeter should be set to 1K-to-1OK scale for this test.
3.The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Connector (CPS/CKP)

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

CCD Bus Diagnostic Procedure
1. Using scan tool, clear TCM DTCs. Start engine and let idle for at least 2 minutes. Using scan tool, retrieve TCM DTCs. If DTC P1694 returns, go to next step. If DTC P1694 does not return, go to step 5.

2. Check instrument cluster gauges for proper operation. If fuel gauge and speedometer operate properly, go to next step. If fuel gauge and speedometer do not operate properly, see appropriate INSTRUMENT PANELS article.

3. Turn ignition off. Disconnect Gray PCM harness connector. PCM is located at left front of engine compartment. Disconnect TCM harness connector. Measure resistance of CCD BUS (-) circuit (White/Black wire) between TCM harness connector and Gray PCM harness connector. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in CCd BUS (-) circuit (White/Black wire). If resistance is 5 ohms or less, go to next step.

4. Measure resistance of CCD BUS (+) circuit (Violet/Brown wire) between TCM harness connector and Gray PCM harness connector. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in CCd BUS (+) circuit (Violet/Brown wire). If resistance is 5 ohms or less, replace TCM.

5. Conditions necessary to set DTC P1694 are currently not present. Inspect related wiring and harness connectors. See WIRING DIAGRAMS. Repair as necessary. If no problem is found, check for broken, bent, backed-out or corroded terminal pins. Check for chafed, pierced or partially broken wires inside insulation. Repair as necessary.

Last edited:
Yes p1694 is the no com. Between ecm and tcm. Already did the cps due to thermal failure. Also did all the proper trouble shooting ohming out wires between tcm and ecm. My main question is re the nss. Can it cause this code to appear and what is its wiring harness supposed to look like. Thanks again. All help is verymuch appreciated.

The connector for the NSS changed, I think, for the '97 model. I found this out when I installed a '98 piece in my '92. Plugs no workee!. I went back to the JY and got the car-end plug from the donor vehicle, and an NSS-end plug from an older XJ, and made an adapter. But yes, the wires were a little different, the colors and the amount. I believe it was Kastein who supplied me with a diagram of old vs. new, and I was able to make the newer one work in the older vehicle.

ok this is what i found under the plastic wire loom. Some repair. I sure hope this is whats causing P1694 code to appear. Stupid california wont pass a vehicle with a stored fault code.

Back