• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How structrally important is...

Talyn

NAXJA Forum User
I am working on an airbox/heat shield for my Volant air intake (w/ rather large Amsoil filter). The box is done (it seals to the body fairly well). My question is on the place where the stock air box bolts to and directly in front of it (where the upper rad support bolts to). How structurally important are those? I am planning on punching a few holes in them for cold air to the filter.

Also, some crappy cell phone pics. Its also not sealed very well tot he body in the pics. Better ones when finished.
ab1.jpg

ab2.jpg

The side support for the radiator support mainly holds the front of the fender in alignment. You can cut a few holes there, as long as you don't really Swiss-cheese it. The inner fender,... that's a structural piece of the front end. The air box is technically in front of the loaded section of the uni-frame, but I'm personally against making any holes in it(The 7118 race truck cracked both inner fenders rail to fender, and the cracks started at clearance holes) Also, if you're not running the plastic inner liners, any water you hit will be splashed up into that area. I'd leave it sloid and draw all your air from the front.

I am running the front fender liners and I do plan to take care of water and stone intake through the inner fender. There is already a 1" hole there, so maybe adding a 2" hole on top of it wouldn't matter? I just would like to add as much cool air as possible.

I'm trying to find some dimple dies I can use, but don't think that will pan out.

The front piece is just a bracket IIRC. The inner fender is heavy stamped steel, it holds the engine up and the coil springs down. A small hole at the front of the inner fender over the tire would be alright though, the closer to the edge the better I would think

The hole on the inner fender would definitely be far forward, right around where the air box has its stock two bolts (not the rear one).

As far as the very front radiator/fender support goes, don't the earlier XJs have a hole there for the air box to begin with?

The hole on the inner fender would definitely be far forward, right around where the air box has its stock two bolts (not the rear one).

As far as the very front radiator/fender support goes, don't the earlier XJs have a hole there for the air box to begin with?

Dad's '88 and '90 as well as my kid Sister's '92 did, but my '98 doesn't, IIRC it kinda surprised/baffled Dad when we got to digging around under the hood of mine several years back and he noticed that was one of the things that had been changed in the '97+ restyle of the trucks.

Most cars do have a hole for air intake on one of the sides. I wouldn't be scared of cutting a hole as long as you don't go crazy. The one in my mustang is 4".

So you will be sucking air directly from the fender? or are you leaving the inner plastic intact?

Or is my mental map of that area completely off and this post makes no sense?

Most cars do have a hole for air intake on one of the sides. I wouldn't be scared of cutting a hole as long as you don't go crazy. The one in my mustang is 4".
Just because one car has a hole in that area doesn't mean its a good idea in another car.
Only thing that would scare me is rust if I left the opening in bare metal after cutting it.
Nah, I would paint it up real well. Believe me, I hate rust.
So you will be sucking air directly from the fender? or are you leaving the inner plastic intact?
Depending where i place that hole I would b drawing it from the wheel well, or the fender. That would be in addition to the holes I can fit in the front panel.

The majority of my inspiration came from CAI companies than actually have products that come with air boxes. Such as the Volant for the SRT8: http://www.volant.com/edetail.asp?ID=474 As well as the need to bring cool air tot he engine and the feeling of a loss of power when the engine gets hot. I'm sure it could be the clutch fan too, but I will be taking care of that next.

I will, however, be relocating the IAT there, which did come from you.

Back