NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > Land Use / Off Topic and other Forums > Tools and Garages
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Tools and Garages This is a place to share about the tools and workspaces used to craft your latest masterpiece.

Old May 3rd, 2011, 17:35
NAXJA Forum User

radius bender, roller? roll bender?

i have no idea what these are called, but theyre cool, and i made one in an hour for a couple small gussets. cool fab tool to have around the shop, definately.

heres some pics of the inspiration, from utv crap's shop thread over on pirate.... posted so you can see the class-A, top shelf model...

a very nice roller, it fits their shop(one with not one, but MANY CNC machines) mine shall fit mine, one with not one, but MANY handheld grinders! its a little bit involved, but he has the potential to use 2 differant size rollers.... i said screw that, as im using it to build sheet metal gussets for my cage, so i only need to bend U shaped peices, with an OD of 1.5". a 1 3/8" .281(common size on steering links utilizing 3/4 heims with bungs) DOM die roller, plus a peice of 16g, doubled over, equals juuuust about 1.5" OD, perfect.
heres mine, with scrap, and an hour of my time. as with all my tools, its not perfect, and many spots are unfinished welding wise, but it works! i can finish it up anytime, if i deem it 'finished'. many tools stay in beta for a looong time, why bother painting stuff that stays in the shop. apologies about the mess...

onto the low-class, bottom shelf model =)

results came out flawless, perfect radius bends up to 1/8".

Old May 14th, 2011, 00:26
NAXJA Forum User

Re: radius bender, roller? roll bender?

thats bad ass dude. we had a radius roller at my fab school we used it for aluminum seats and and roll pans and such for hotrod trucks. i never thought about using it for making gussets. nice way to think outside the box