• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TeDI is born (swap 2.1 to 1.9 TDI)

seaseacker

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings,
I have already swaped 1.9 TDI into Jeep Cherokee XJ 2.1 TD.
I already had an 1.9 TDI 1Z (97HP/230Nm).
Mine 2.1 had 78HP/163Nm.
I have used VW's flywheel and pressure plate.

Mine adapter plate was welded out of two plates.
Zdj%C4%99cie038.jpg

Here is the story...

Friday afternoon:
started to unscrewing Jeep.
HPIM1700.JPG

I finished the day at 2 am with taken the engine out.
HPIM1702.JPG

HPIM1708.JPG

HPIM1709.JPG

Saturday:
I had to think about the clutch bearing. The Jeeps bearing wasn't wide enough for VW pressure plate, so i had to connect VW bearing with Jeeps bearing housing. (the distance from pressure plate to transmission mount was this same as original)
Here is the engine mounted with tranmission and transfer case.
HPIM1710.JPG

I had to unmount the AC ( i wanted to have OBA), because there wasn't enough space for it (steering).
I have screwed the transfer case to unibody, and started to do the mountings.
HPIM1712.JPG

I have used one original VW mount, and made the other by myself.
I havent welded the mounts to the unibody. I can unscrew them anytime.

Sunday:
I have taken the wiring and tried to start the engine. I had some problems with the wiring, but the engine started. After that i have repaired the wiring, and rebuild one of the engine mounts ( the engine and the transfer case was lying on one side more then the other).

Monday:
I have made some shoping, and in the afternoon i have connected the fuel filter ( i have used VW's) and the water cooler.
HPIM1716.JPG

Tuesday:
I connected the power steering (transformed it earlier),
connected the water cooler with engine,
made exhaust,
connected the VW vent to Jeeps cooler.

Wednesday:
Started to do the wiring, and rebuild the alternator mount (also didn't fit because of the steering column).

Thursday:
Shopping again, and i have watered the engine, and rebuild alternator mount because the belt wasn't going good.
Made the battery mount.

Friday:
I have finished the electrics, vent steering, all the engine wiring and connected the Intercooler ( i have used Jeeps IC)

The last thing was to cut out two holes in the hood.
HPIM1720.JPG

I am waiting for the mail with tune element for the hood :D

And that's all folks :thumbsup:

HPIM1723.JPG

I made 150 Kilometers already and it is much better then 2.1 :rolleyes:

More fotos
sorry for language... greetings from poland :wave:

vw golf III year 95

if the timing gear cover, and the intake were smaller it would fit nice...
i couldn't put it lower, because of the power steering pump which is about an inch above the panhard bar.

some sweet tech in there. Nice work making your own adapter plate. I'm not sure I would even contemplate that undertaking.

Fascinating. I wonder if the engine could have been clocked (rotated) to avoid cutting holes in the hood.

Probably would have required a modified oil pan and pump pickup to avoid starvation issues, though. Also don't know if the engine would like being at a different angle.

Be interested in seeing what sort of fuel economy you get post-swap.

very nice! :yelclap:

I wish I had the time for that kind of project.

All the more reason for a cowl hood (=
The DIY hood lift might have worked as well.

Also, gas is much more expensive in EU than in the US of A. Diesel, same. Makes sense to wring as many MPG out of a chassis as you can - pays for itself much faster.
Here... return on investment can take a while.

very cool, thanks for posting!

Fascinating. I wonder if the engine could have been clocked (rotated) to avoid cutting holes in the hood.

Probably would have required a modified oil pan and pump pickup to avoid starvation issues, though. Also don't know if the engine would like being at a different angle.

Be interested in seeing what sort of fuel economy you get post-swap.

i was wondering the same thing, don't get me wrong this build is the cheese but you could have run the transporter (vanagon here in the states) oil pan and had mucho clearance just a thought. and as of what i have seen the diesel vanagons are fairly availible in europe

I just had this engine for free, so I used it :D :thumbup:
Anyway there are a lot of choices to tune this engine up ;)

this is how i made the hood
HPIM1732.JPG

i still have to do some maintenance to the engine,
the fuel temp. sensor shows me 0 degrees (Celsius), so probably i will have to change it, and there are minor fuel leakings out of the injectors... but they are making only little "fog" nearby injectors...

Very nice work!

Looks beautiful but I like the OP's budget a lot more...

Back