NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old March 6th, 2011, 14:39
NAXJA Forum User

Overhead Console Computer

I have tried searching for this topic online and have had no success. I have 2 1990 jeep Cherokees with the Laredo package and the overhead console. The computers in both consoles have stopped working when they were at 18 and 19 years of age. When I took them apart, I discovered what appears to be 3 resistors that have burned up on the circuit board (circled in the picture below). Both jeeps have the exact same problem. I have obtained one from an early 90s Cherokee in the junk yard and it had the same problem. It seems that this is a common problem with these computer units with that age. I even took the unit to an electronics buddy. Without a wiring schematic or single line diagram, he could not fix the circuit. Has anybody else experienced this problem? Is there a way to fix the burned up circuit? What causes this to happen? Is there a way to avoid this problem occurring on a working unit? Any help is MUCH appreciated!

Old March 21st, 2011, 09:33
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Overhead Console Computer

anyone?
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:27
NAXJA Member

when mine went out in my 90 i grabbed a new computer/display from the JY. worked fine. if you can find one there i would give that a try
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:37
NAXJA Forum User

Would it be as simple as replacing the resistor? We have four XJs, '92, '95, and two '96s. All have OHC, all work fine. My '92 had an OHC from the late '80s, and it worked fine (it currently has a '95 model in it, cosmetically it was much better). If you can read the value on it, I'd say just swap it. If it doesn't work, you've lost a few minutes in labor, and a few cents at Radio Shack, if you can find one that still sells electronic stuff.
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:38
NAXJA Forum User

Mine burnt up in the same place on my '91 Laredo around 2006; completely gone.

I too went to the junk yard and grabbed a new one out of a '90 Laredo (after popping it open to discover it wasn't burnt up). $5 and I had a working overhead computer.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 21:57
NAXJA Forum User

I have a 93 country with a console out of ??? Po put it in is there a way to wire up the clock and compass to work in my xj. All the lights work just not the display.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 22:13
NAXJA Forum User

There is no clock, just the compass and thermometer. There needs to be a probe behind the front bumper, that plugs into a fitting somewhere near or beneath the battery. Make sure the multi-conductor cable is plugged into the back of the display, and it is plugged into the fitting behind the right kick panel.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 22:17
NAXJA Forum User

I have a 1990 overhead console that I no longer use, if you mean a outside temp gauge and a digital compass by "computer". Mine also has 4 overhead lights, happy to sell you mine. Other than being a but dusty inside it works fine. It has a light gray cloth covering along with a garage door opener and glasses compartment.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1
Old March 23rd, 2011, 00:56
NAXJA Forum User

Ok thanks so if the original xj didn't come with the console them those plugs and sensors will need to be installed by me correct
Old March 23rd, 2011, 06:20
NAXJA Forum User

Just pull the sensor from the junkyard and wiring harness. Its all plug and play since all the jeeps already have them wired up for it. As far as the computer goes you can maybe find one from the JY or try fixing it. Should only cost a couple bucks and a few minutes with a soldering iron. Nothing to really lose trying I think.

BTW does anyone have a spare temp sensor they can sell me? I need the one thats behind the front bumper since the one I pulled from the JY didnt have the sensor still there.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:07
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam24th View Post
BTW does anyone have a spare temp sensor they can sell me? I need the one thats behind the front bumper since the one I pulled from the JY didnt have the sensor still there.
local Advance should be able to get you one pretty cheaply....

BWD Ambient Air Temperature Sensor

Be the first to review

Store Availability

Ship to Home

$19.89

QTY
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:14
NAXJA Forum User

Any Jeep or Chrysler minivan with OHC will have one. Just make sure the plugs are the same, as they may have changed through the various years.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 09:19
NAXJA Forum User

Ah ok ill probably wait till the next JY trip and just get the sensor since I dont NEED it. Also wasnt aware they were sold at advance either. Thanks guys.
Old March 24th, 2011, 00:23
NAXJA Forum User

Thank you for allowing me to temporarily hi jacking your thread. Very informative. I am going out to the jy this weekend.
Old March 24th, 2011, 13:03
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thej87 View Post
I have tried searching for this topic online and have had no success. I have 2 1990 jeep Cherokees with the Laredo package and the overhead console. The computers in both consoles have stopped working when they were at 18 and 19 years of age. When I took them apart, I discovered what appears to be 3 resistors that have burned up on the circuit board (circled in the picture below). Both jeeps have the exact same problem. I have obtained one from an early 90s Cherokee in the junk yard and it had the same problem. It seems that this is a common problem with these computer units with that age. I even took the unit to an electronics buddy. Without a wiring schematic or single line diagram, he could not fix the circuit. Has anybody else experienced this problem? Is there a way to fix the burned up circuit? What causes this to happen? Is there a way to avoid this problem occurring on a working unit? Any help is MUCH appreciated!

I would think that you could just replace them but if they're burnt, can you still see the colored striping on them at all? Once you have that, it should be a pretty simple fix. Since they're both not working and have the same issues, you could experiment on one and if that works then you're golden.

Also, since they both worked for almost 20 years, I wouldn't worry about "fixing" them so they'll last longer. 20 years is a pretty long time for something like this.

Maybe a nice member on here would pull his console down and get the resistor colors for you?

Partial thread jack ahead.

I need the brackets that hold the console up on a 92 XJ. I bought a used one of EBay but don't have the brackets. Anyone have a set?

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.