• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What other radius arms are compatible with IRO long arm crossmember?

twodoorXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, i currently have the IRO long arm kit, (dont waste your money), and it sucks. It gives me wheel hop in 4x4 in the snow, its weak, and most of all that caster adjuster is a horrible design flaw. I went to change the caster last week and saw this:

casteradjuster.jpg

Notice how mangled the caster adjuster is.

So now the issue i am facing is to somehow get someone else's control arms on this cross member. The Ironman fab has these arms: http://ironman4x4fab.com/Jeep_XJ_Long_Arms/XJ_LAK.html

They are adjustable from 35 to 40 inches, i believe the IRO arms are about 37, so im sure they will work, but does anyone know what other companies are out there that will just sell the radius arms themselves?

:bunny:

i am running the IRO x member with ironman arms. i am still buttoning up my front end but they are paired with a hd 44 swap and tnt truss

This is seriously the first negative review I've seen of this kit.

Lots of "It'll break", or "Looks bad," but yours is the first I've seen slip like that.

Have you called them?

This thread is fake, IRO is the strongest kit evar.

But seriously that sucks and I'm kinda surprised it took this long for one of those 'adjuster' thingys to do that. Maybe other people that had it happen just didn't post up...

The Iron Man arms look decent, if not a little pricey, and you already have someone telling you they work, so that's a plus. I don't think anyone else just sells the arms.

This is seriously the first negative review I've seen of this kit.

Lots of "It'll break", or "Looks bad," but yours is the first I've seen slip like that.

Have you called them?

Yea, i called them, and one person told me "just to run it", another person told me to "bend it back, then run it" and another person told me i can buy a new one for $14.00 plus shpping.

I was pretty outraged that they wouldnt offer to send one for free, just so i can run it until i get enough money.

Heres what their warranty:

"All products manufactured by Iron Rock Off Road, Inc. are guaranteed to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for as long as you own the product. If your product ever fails due to a defect in materials or workmanship we will replace it free of charge, excluding shipping and handling. This warranty does not apply to corrosion, finish, or normal wear. This warranty is non-transferable. Misuse, modification in any way, or any use other than the product’s designed purpose will void the warranty. Iron Rock Off Road control arms come with a lifetime unbendable guarantee. If you bend or break a control arm on or off road, we will replace it. Products not manufactured by Iron Rock Off Road, Inc. will be subject to the product manufacturer's warranty. Claims must be made to that manufacturer. Custom parts are non-returnable, non-refundable. "

Can you weld or have a buddy that can? You could make a set of arms for 1/3 (maybe 1/2 at most) of that shipped cost.
Heck if your joints are in good shape you could even re-use those.

I am a learning welder, i have welded many non-suspension pieces, and i even welded up a go kart, but i dont know if i would trust myself to weld something as important as the control arms.

Ill look into building my own though.

I guess ballistic fab will become my new bestfriend:patriot:

"All products manufactured by Iron Rock Off Road, Inc. are guaranteed to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for as long as you own the product. If your product ever fails due to a defect in materials or workmanship we will replace it free of charge, excluding shipping and handling. This warranty does not apply to corrosion, finish, or normal wear. This warranty is non-transferable. Misuse, modification in any way, or any use other than the product’s designed purpose will void the warranty. Iron Rock Off Road control arms come with a lifetime unbendable guarantee. If you bend or break a control arm on or off road, we will replace it. Products not manufactured by Iron Rock Off Road, Inc. will be subject to the product manufacturer's warranty. Claims must be made to that manufacturer. Custom parts are non-returnable, non-refundable. "

that is bullshit.

i suppose that bracket failing is considered "normal wear"

i like the "lets make our control arms wicked strong but use a cheesy-ass bracket to connect it to the axle" thing they got goin on too

Could just cut that upper arm thing off, weld some tabs on the lowers, and make them into real radius arms.

Tabs on the lowers, tubes for the short uppers, heims on the lower side and C channels to fit the stock upper bushings. Done.

But yeah, if you need the rig operational, call them back, remind them of their warranty, and tell them to ship you a new adjuster. For $14, I think they can swing it.

Could just cut that upper arm thing off, weld some tabs on the lowers, and make them into real radius arms.

Tabs on the lowers, tubes for the short uppers, heims on the lower side and C channels to fit the stock upper bushings. Done.
This is exactly what I would do if I was stuck with that hokey ass design and had to fix it.

You could also get a piece of box tubing big enough to go over the UCA bushing comfortably, cut the bottom face off one end, maybe cut a bit out of the top face as well if it won't fit over the cast UCA bushing bracket, cut the other end to length to give you a couple inches of overlap on what's left of the IRO upper link thing, then set your caster and bore a pair of 1/2" holes through the upper link and the wacky box tubing thing. Stuff some grade 8 bolts through it and run it that way till the parts to fix it properly come in. It'll be goofy looking but should hold fine.

Cut off the upper link completely and have ironman make you a single, adjustable arm. Then all you need to do is weld on a very simple bracket onto the lower main arm.

Personally I would call IRO and tell them you want them to ship one of their arms with the adjustable uppers without that caster bracket and then you can ship them your current arm.

Id rather write them a nasty email, that will include pics, remind them of how much money i have spent there in the past, i willremind them of thier warranty, and how loyal of a customer i am until now. I do not want to run a 3 link radius arm any longer.

I just got off the phone with rustys offroad, and they'll send me a set of high clearence control arms for $460, they will custom make them from 35 to 40 inches. Not a bad deal, especially compared to the Iron man 4x4 arms.

I just got off the phone with rustys offroad, and they'll send me a set of high clearence control arms for $460, they will custom make them from 35 to 40 inches. Not a bad deal, especially compared to the Iron man 4x4 arms.

Yet another company I'd rather stay away from...

Id rather write them a nasty email, that will include pics, remind them of how much money i have spent there in the past, i willremind them of thier warranty, and how loyal of a customer i am until now. I do not want to run a 3 link radius arm any longer.

And send them a link to this thread.

i have learned. if all else fails. complain on the internet.

in my case you will get what is right.

but have heard of cases where the vendor gets all pissy and refuses to do anything about it and even gets to the point of calling my friend and cursing on the phone.

Except for the fact that the OP will now be tarred, feathered, and banished from naxja for blashpeming against iro.

Except for the fact that the OP will now be tarred, feathered, and banished from naxja for blashpeming against iro.
nah, a whole bunch of people on here don't like that design. Not exactly happy the OP got screwed, but happy he was willing to post pics so we actually have something to point at when people suggest the IRO kits and say "don't listen to all those naysayers, 1 bolt and that idiotic adjuster are perfectly fine, see, no one has posted about one breaking! :woohoo:"

In all seriousness, they make great stuff. The xj long arm kit is NOT one of them.

It'd be a sweet kit if it was just a standard y link.

Twodoor- Raise hell. I'd be pissed. I even had a couple phone calls with them, and they couldn't say enough good things about the cam adjuster. Good think I went against what they said.

You can also buy TNT's long arms only, I just bought a set. I think they were $495 + shipping.

:wave:

Back