NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 9th, 2011, 00:39
NAXJA Forum User

am i going to hate myself for using a rough country lift?

I have been going back and forth on what lift kit to buy for my DD '00 xj. A few days ago I had decided on the rusty's 4.5" kit and was going to order it until I saw that it was going to cost me $200 in shipping. I had started looking for a way to work around paying that much to ship, which led me to find a bunch of stuff on the various forums saying rusty's isn't all that great. One of my buddies has been trying to talk me into a RC kit for a while (he's been around 3 yjs that have RC kits, and he bought one for his zj ) so I did some looking around, I found that jc Whitney had free shipping on orders over $75 and they had a 4.5" kit from RC for $450, so I called to ask if the kit had rear spring packs or aal, and being assured the kit came with spring packs, I ordered it, now I'm wondering if this is going to be one of those times where its the worst money I've saved.

The vehicle isn't going to be wheeled too much, maybe one day a month, and I'm only planning on 31" tires and hopefully a locker in the rear at some point. I'm basically shooting for what I think an suv should have been from the factory. A vehicle that will take me hunting, fishing, camping, let me drive around in the snow, and take me out to play on the trails every once in a while.

Thanks for your thoughts / opinions.
Old September 9th, 2011, 00:43
On a Time Out

Re: am i going to hate myself for using a rough country lift?

rough country makes a quality product, I don;t regret mine
Old September 9th, 2011, 00:50
NAXJA Forum User

RC - I bought back in 2003 their shocks for YJ because they were couple $ cheaper. I am quite happy I sold the jeep with them. Started to rust after one winter, and way too stiff. For xj I would go with rubicon expresss kit.
Old September 9th, 2011, 00:58
On a Time Out

that kit on JC Whitney's site is a 3" add a leaf and a 1.5" shackle
Old September 9th, 2011, 01:34
NAXJA Forum User

Rough country makes quality stuff. Almost all the bad crap you hear about them are from way back in the day before they changed their ways.
Old September 9th, 2011, 01:37
NAXJA Forum User

Rc has the best customer service you can imagine.. if you have any problems at all call mitch at rough country he will make sure everything is fixed! Also if ericfx is right, then you got lucky! The only problem ive ever seen on rc 4.5 lifts is normally they come with the 4.5 springs for the rear requiring you to use the stock shackle.. the main leaf in the new pack is a tad longer as with any lift springs pushing the tiny stock shackle back. Not only causeing a bad shackle angle, but turning the shackle into a smackle by making it hit the unibody ever small bump you hit.. All of that is resolved by the 3 in leaf pack with 1.5 shackle.. doesn't hit, and creates a much nicer shackle angle!
Old September 9th, 2011, 01:41
NAXJA Forum User

Of course this is just my opinion, but consider yourself lucky you talked yourself out of rustys!
Old September 9th, 2011, 06:12
Three-De Off-Road

My experience on is if you search long enough and read enough threads you'll find someone bitching about a product made by pretty much manufacturer....including homemade products.

Assume you did your due dilligence and put that Rough Country lift on then get out an run that thing on some trails!
Dirk DeYoung--Member #176--National Vice President, SEC President
You'll never leave Harlan alive.
1996 ZJ (200GRND)...2001 XJ (TRALRIG)...2013 WKII (SUZIE)...2006 XK (TOW RIG)
Old September 9th, 2011, 08:32
NAXJA Forum User

$200 in shipping is absolutely ridiculous. WTF is up with Rusty's????

Jcwhitney confuses the %$@$ out of me. They tend to sell the cheapest lift from any manufacture but fail to explain what's included until you click, click, and click some more to get to the details. I checked em under RC and they sell the AAL kit with shackle. I do not see the spring pack option anywhere so I hope you get what you want and not the AAL kit.

This is the only 4.5" kit listed and it spells Cheap with the capital "C":

Quote:
Front coil springs, front lower control arms, transfer case drop kit, swaybar links, brake line relocating brackets, (4) RC Hydro 8000 series shocks, and rear add-a-leafs and shackles.
Install Time: 5 - 6 hours
Wheel Backspacing: 4 "
Recommended Tire Size: 32x11.50

For future references, if anyone wants to buy RC suspension kits, buy DIRECTLY from RC themselves. The prices will pretty much be the same anywhere and you get 10x better customer service dealing with them directly. They also ship 10x....maybe 11x faster!

Last edited by muddeprived; September 9th, 2011 at 08:38.
Old September 9th, 2011, 08:40
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
My experience on is if you search long enough and read enough threads you'll find someone bitching about a product made by pretty much manufacturer....including homemade products.
Agreed!
Old September 9th, 2011, 08:46
NAXJA Forum User

All the RC bashing I've seen in the last year seems to come from dudes who cannot or will not be made happy by customer service or who have totally unreasonable expectations.

They have a customer service guy who frequents this board, I think his name is Jason, and I've been continually impressed with this guy's dedication to making people happy with his company. He is awesome.

Also - RC products aren't the very top of the line but they DO seem to be excellent value for what you pay. I haven't heard any complaints about their parts, really, except that maybe HDOffroad makes a better shackle relocation kit for the money. THat isn't really even a knock on RC.

If it fits the budget and you aren't attached to branding, go for it.
Old September 9th, 2011, 08:52
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19 View Post
All the RC bashing I've seen in the last year seems to come from dudes who cannot or will not be made happy by customer service or who have totally unreasonable expectations.

They have a customer service guy who frequents this board, I think his name is Jason, and I've been continually impressed with this guy's dedication to making people happy with his company. He is awesome.

Also - RC products aren't the very top of the line but they DO seem to be excellent value for what you pay. I haven't heard any complaints about their parts, really, except that maybe HDOffroad makes a better shackle relocation kit for the money. THat isn't really even a knock on RC.

If it fits the budget and you aren't attached to branding, go for it.
I bet fifty percent of the complaints of RC kits are from the joints they put out the past two years. I can understand the frustration from these folks bashing the company because I, myself, have been dealing with the bushing issue for over a year and it got quite annoying to the point where I had to switch to another manufacture to solve it. I never bashed the company, despite having to change the bushings 12 times, but I did warn folks about the issue.

Nonetheless, their customer service has been top notch throughout the whole ordeal but unfortunately wasn't able to fix the issue before I went to another manufacture.

It appears they released a fix for the bushing issue that plagues many of their kits so I expect a big turnaround in points towards RC.
Old September 9th, 2011, 09:07
On a Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep450r View Post
Rough country makes quality stuff. Almost all the bad crap you hear about them are from way back in the day before they changed their ways.
and their owners
Old September 9th, 2011, 09:39
NAXJA Forum User

Just throwing in my experience here, but I'm going to defend Rusty's here a little. I ordered the Rusty's 4.5" lift with the adjustable HD tracbar and mount. I ordered it through 4 Wheel Performance in Whichita Falls, TX. The whole thing cost an even grand to thier shop. I've never had a problem with the kit from day one. Everything fit right and the trac bar has never been a problem. The main complaint I heard about Rusty's is the tie rod used to connect to the Stock body side trac bar mount, that the tie rod would bend or the trac bar would. The HD one doesn't use a tie rod at all. It's got a nice ride, and Rusty's springs DO have a good rep. My wife's XJ had a Superlift 4.5 and it was stiff as hell. Didn't like the ride at all. I haven't regretted the Rusty's lift for a single second.
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:07
The 97 Club

Call RC not JC whit.Get full leaf packs. You'll be much happier with them.

PS
I also found if i called rusty the shipping price wasn't so high.About the same as everybody else.