NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old January 23rd, 2011, 10:45
NAXJA Forum User

wj steering pitman arm options?

So, I installed a set of goferit flipserts in to my wj knuckles this weekend and flipped my modified wj steering otk...While collecting parts for this mod I ordered a stock TJ pitman arm to help correct the drag link angle. My problem came when the Tj pitman arm does not fit onto my XJ steering box (the splined hole in the TJ arm is to small). It seems like I have read about a lot of people using a TJ or YJ stock pitman arm for this mod so now I'm wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem and will a stock YJ pitman arm work? I need to correct this pretty quickly. The bump steer is pretty bad!
Old January 23rd, 2011, 10:54
NAXJA Forum User

Re: wj steering pitman arm options?

Maybe you received the wrong arm. I have a stock TJ arm on a stock xj steering gear.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 10:55
NAXJA Forum User

Weird. I'm using an XJ arm on my TJ, and a ZJ arm on my XJ. They should be all the same, since they essentially use the same steer box.

What diameter is your TJ one versus your XJ one? I have an extra TJ and XJ one here I can compare with.

But really, if you're looking to flatten, I would just use heat and a shop press to flattn the XJ one to where you need it.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 13:47
NAXJA Forum User

My XJ arm is on the jeep now so its kinda hard to measure but the "TJ" one measures 1" from inside one master spline to the inside of the one across from it.
The difference between the two was minimal but the new arm wouldnt even start on the splines of the steering box.

I had considered flattening out the stock arm but am not sure what the heating and bending may do to the strength of the arm.

Also can anyone tell me which arm has less drop in it between a stock TJ and stock YJ arm?
Old January 23rd, 2011, 20:14
NAXJA Forum User

I went with a waggy drop arm. It is longer than a stock XJ or TJ (closer in length to the WJ one) but has some drop to it (close tot he stock XJ drop). It's actually a Rough Country one that is also used for an older Bronco. I lost some turning radius when using the stock XJ arm that I wanted to get back. http://www.performanceoffroadcenter....products_id=88
Old January 24th, 2011, 08:42
NAXJA Forum User

I just did a tie rod flip with inserts and built a drag link with one ton rod ends this weekend. I had been running with the WJ steering and an aftermarket dropped pitman arm. I also had lost turning radius when I did the swap. What I ended up doing is putting a dropped pitman arm from a mid 90s dodge 1500 same drop but was an inch longer to get my radius back. I did have to ream the taper out a bit more to get the chevy tie rods in it though. When I pulled other arm the splines were actually broken out of it. It had up and down play and would pop when turning. A few of my friends have had problems with their aftermarket dropped pitman arms also. I know from now on I will not run an aftermarket dropped pitman for an XJ or MJ. The dodge one is much heavier and fits way better.
Old January 24th, 2011, 08:44
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanRigged View Post
I had considered flattening out the stock arm but am not sure what the heating and bending may do to the strength of the arm.
this would be my major worry. I believe it will weaken the arm significantly and you will need a LOT of heat to bend something that thick.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old January 24th, 2011, 18:08
Fire up the roof.

What about running a WJ pitman.
Old January 24th, 2011, 21:51
NAXJA Forum User

I run high steer with a 44 and gave the wj arm a go. Not quite as long as a waggy arm but close. All you have to do is triangle file the clocking points so it fits on am xj box. It seemed a little weaker than the units we normally use but I have had no issues to date!
Old September 15th, 2012, 11:57
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
this would be my major worry. I believe it will weaken the arm significantly and you will need a LOT of heat to bend something that thick.
I'm willing to bet this could be done successfully by the laymen, given some information & some precautions.

The key information, I'd think, is this: What if any heat treating does a pitman arm get before it leaves the factory?

I think it's "none".
I'm making several assumptions, there. The largest is in whether the pitman arm is made of cast iron or something with more carbon than mild steel.

Since low carbon metals can't really be tempered, all that is left is to heat the whole thing evenly before bending it (I'd think in a press) & to let it cool slowly.
Right?

But, then, PORC sells the part for $50... so maybe it isn't worth the worry.
Old September 15th, 2012, 12:26
NAXJA Member

pitman arms are forged.

why not fix it the right way and change your track bar bracket?
I have wj knuckles with 1 ton OTK steering, and i can go lock to lock with the stock xj (and now ZJ) pitman arm. No need for a longer one unless something is wrong elsewhere.