• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 a/c vacuum canister

slowjeep

NAXJA Forum User
another a/c thread!!!!!

if I turn the air up to speed four the air comes out the top of the dash like when in defrost. I have to turn it on at speed 1 then wait and slowly raise the seepds. Also, when driving between 55-65 it begins to blow from the dash again. I'm leaning towards the canister, or maybe some type damper or vacuum line.

Sounds as though you have a vacuum leak in one of your lines.
Check the vacuum accumulator ball and connection behind the front bumper on the passenger side, then check the line that goes beneath the battery tray (common to have leaks due to battery acid).
If you have cruise control; does the cruise control work properly since it too is operated by vacuum?

Sounds as though you have a vacuum leak in one of your lines.
Check the vacuum accumulator ball and connection behind the front bumper on the passenger side, then check the line that goes beneath the battery tray (common to have leaks due to battery acid).
If you have cruise control; does the cruise control work properly since it too is operated by vacuum?

Yep, default vent position when there is low vacuum is the defrost vent.

Do as CharlesS recommends--start at the ball and visually/touch the line(s) along their paths to the firewall and intake manifold. If you can't locate any leaks you may need to rent a vacuum pump and vacuum gauge to find the problem.

I third check the ball. In my quest to get better vacuum, I fiberglassed the ball seam and coated the rest in resin. Picked up 1 InHg as a result. Must have have a hairline crack somewhere...

A popular mod is to relocate the vacuum reservoir into the engine compartment, that will shorten the vacuum lines and provide a little more protection to the reservoir.

I relocated mine to the passenger's side firewall, removed 4-5 feet of vacuum line, and when I hit things with the front bumper I don't worry about the vacuum system screwing up.

so it's just shortening vacuum lines, no electrical work?

No electrical. Just a vacuum reservoir--ball or capsule shaped, with one or two vacuum lines attached.

The square vacuum reservoir off a TJ is easy to to fit in a cramped engine bay.

I just have mine on the front cross member ... still much better than out on the corner of the bar tho.

Last edited:
you had to extend the vacuum line right

Just relocated the vacuum line so it reached.

Ran it along the aircon lines, then under the airbox and through a gap alongside the radiator.

Aircon lines are on the lefthand side in a RHD.

Last edited:
Locating a place in the engine bay and mounting the vacuum reservoir there will shorten up the vacuum lines and reduce your problems.

Good luck.

Back