• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A trip to Carolina Beach

Cnickgo

Do you need assistance?
Well Tim (UNCC_99XJ) and I had been trying to get a weekend at the beach together for awhile, finally went this past weekend. We went to Freeman Park at Carolina Beach.

We arrived Friday, set-up camp, went into town to get food and drinks (lots of drinks), and enjoyed the sunset evening. We also named our first set of neighbors, Team Techno, for the ungodly beat of the same song that played until about 3am.

CRW_8583.jpg

CRW_8586.jpg

CRW_8587.jpg

CRW_8588.jpg

Saturday morning provided some great entertainment right off the bat. By 7:30, some idiot in a new Tacoma thought it would be a wise decision to drive on the wet sand and park close to the surf, ignoring the line of hundreds of trucks parked at the high tide mark. The pictures speak for themselves. They finally got a wrecker out there around 8:30, and much to our amazement pulled the Yoter out without breaking a single cable or chain.

CRW_8593.jpg

CRW_8598.jpg

CRW_8601.jpg

CRW_8602.jpg

CRW_8604.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The rest of the day Sat. was spent relaxing in the sun or shade, drinking cold brewed beverages, getting in the water, and taking pictures. We named a few other neighbors, had Team Menopause set up more in front of us than beside us, Team Family Man talked fishing with us, and Team Watermelon was busy eating a hollowed watermelon with other fruit in it, all floating in Everclear. Team Techno continued to play the same song.

CRW_8600.jpg

CRW_8603.jpg

CRW_8605.jpg

CRW_8606.jpg

CRW_8609.jpg

CRW_8610.jpg

CRW_8617.jpg

CRW_8620.jpg

Saturday night provided some serious excitement. Cserou came out that evening after having some sensor troubles, and with her front driveshaft in the Jeep because of a bad pinion seal (or bearing?), got stuck attempting the sand in 2wd. No worries, I snatched her out once after a few tries, we tried driving her off the beach, got stuck again. The second time we strapped up I just dragged her all the way off and parked it in a lot for the night. On the way back to camp, the sky opened up. Dodged through the wave of trucks escaping the beach all the way to camp, where we found my friend holding on to the shade awning for dear life. Unfortunately the awning would eventually fall victim to the storm, and instead of holding a huge lightning rod, we retreated to the safety of the Jeeps. My phone rode out the storm in my camp chair like a champ while we dried off and drank more beer.

Sunday was hot, so we were in the water the majority of the day. Stopped at the Seawitch Cafe for some great food and some final pictures with Cserou's XJ.

CRW_8623.jpg

CRW_8626.jpg

Looks like you guys had a great time, I wish I could have gone but I had much more important things to take care of back at home. Needless to say I'm glad I stayed. I will catch up with you guys again sometime soon. I'm hoping to go wheeling in the near future.

And man you guys need some skids all that steering equip sticking out like a sore thumb "come and rip me apart" lol, I know Tim's is ugly as hell but I know you have better taste then that Nick, if I remember right you have the ninja turtle.

Last edited:
And man you guys need some skids all that steering equip sticking out like a sore thumb "come and rip me apart" lol, I know Tim's is ugly as hell but I know you have better taste then that Nick, if I remember right you have the ninja turtle.

Atleast mine's original and not the same color green as another members! :moon:

A few of my pictures from the trip....

About 2 minutes after we first parked on Friday afternoon, this pulled up:

37873_714432404937_36618587_39779256_3953006_n.jpg

34664_714433253237_36618587_39779308_1775778_n.jpg

37744_714433427887_36618587_39779316_3676797_n.jpg

img0518x.jpg

img0519o.jpg

Good shot of the distance the wrecker had on the Taco...with the cops in the background waiting and laughing:

img0524ts.jpg

Up to the frame:

img0526td.jpg

Storm moving in:

img0530tq.jpg

Nick returning the favor from one of the above pictures:

img0531s.jpg

Relaxing Sunday afternoon....not wanting to pack up and go back to reality:

img0546o.jpg

Lessons learned from this trip:
1. If you plan to consume an excessive (and I do mean excessive) amount of adult beverages (especially the non beer variety) in a single evening, be prepared to pay dearly the next morning.
2. Hearing the same techno song for about 6 hours straight is really, REALLY annoying!
3. 4x4 vehicles only means your ENTIRE 4x4 vehicle needs to be present. Including but not limited to, front drive shafts.
4. Standing on an open beach, next to the ocean, at night, holding an 8 foot metal rod to the ground during a storm with lightning hitting close enough you can hear the crack before the thunder is usually a bad idea. However when the storm gets over the water it sure does make for some beautiful sights.
5. Domino's beach delivery service is an AMAZING business idea. Especially after a severe storm takes out half your camp site, and your camp fire that you were going to cook with.

Lesson learned: always record your buddy pulling someone out, so he can see his Jeep get air on a snatch.
:Firewood from the gas station sucks!
:Samsung phones are beast.
:Tim loves blondes.

Atleast mine's original and not the same color green as another members! :moon:

hey, I resemble that remark....

P.S. no thanx, I'll stay home and masturbate while you all hang out and enjoy the beach-- really, I get to meet TONS of members and don't think I've got room in my address book for ANY more people.....:anon:

Saturday night provided some serious excitement. Cserou came out that evening after having some sensor troubles, and with her front driveshaft in the Jeep because of a bad pinion seal (or bearing?), got stuck attempting the sand in 2wd. No worries, I snatched her out once after a few tries, we tried driving her off the beach, got stuck again. The second time we strapped up I just dragged her all the way off and parked it in a lot for the night. On the way back to camp, the sky opened up. Dodged through the wave of trucks escaping the beach all the way to camp, where we found my friend holding on to the shade awning for dear life. Unfortunately the awning would eventually fall victim to the storm, and instead of holding a huge lightning rod, we retreated to the safety of the Jeeps. My phone rode out the storm in my camp chair like a champ while we dried off and drank more beer.

Sunday was hot, so we were in the water the majority of the day. Stopped at the Seawitch Cafe for some great food and some final pictures with Cserou's XJ.

Pinion bearing.

Lessons learned:
1. If you are a rave DJ, don't drive 5 hours unless you know for sure that the rave is happening.
2. Wearing sunscreen does not mean you won't get burned anyway.
3. It takes a Marine and an Engineer to pack up an awning.

Last edited:
Looks like you guys had a great time, I wish I could have gone but I had much more important things to take care of back at home. Needless to say I'm glad I stayed. I will catch up with you guys again sometime soon. I'm hoping to go wheeling in the near future.

Hey, at least I have functional steering now!

As we've already discussed... I was there 7/19 around 2:00 in the Family Jeep. :)

SEE!

We were all the way out on the end. We only stayed for a couple hours tho. I hate I missed seeing the CJ and the Hummer.

CIMG1699.jpg

Nice! We drove down there before we left that Sunday to check it out....I wouldn't mind camping down on the end next time. Only thing though is that you don't get the surf like you do on the rest of the beach.

I forgot how beautiful the beaches are in NC..
that wrangler is crazy high!

Back