• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine swap question, 91' into a 96'

blacklabel000

NAXJA Forum User
so my engine in my 96' country is burning oil like its it's job, struggles to stay running, and has a terrible knock. its got around 160,000 on her.

now, i pulled my engine out of my 91' just before i scrapped it because i never had a problem with it. leak free, starts right up, no knocks, no anything. shes got around 150,000

ANYWAY- my question is, can i throw the 91' engine in my 96'? ive noticed a couple differences at quick glance, but nothing that i can see being a problem. but, since its an OBD2 vehicle, is that going to raise some issues?
am i going to have to grab a different computer?

thanks in advance guys,
-Nick

change all the sensors over along with the coil and distributor, assecories may need to be changed to, the driveplate or flywheels are the same(depending on what you have) so those wll not need to be swapped

^^ that, just move the parts that the computer talks to and you can keep the computer/harness in place. That means all sensors, ignition parts, and fuel injectors. Also use your 96 rail since the plumbing is different. You will probably want to keep the 96 power steering and tensioner assembly since it's superior design, which means you will need to keep the 96 intake or upgrade to the 99+ intake while everything is apart. You will need to keep your 96 A/C compressor too since it's a different design, but that is just unbolt and lay over to the side during the swap. One other thing, check to see if there is a gauge sender at the back of the 96 head, if not the 91 port will need to be plugged (1/4 NPT plug or keep the original sender in there as a plug). Pretty straightforward.

Last edited:
ok this is all good news, as long as its is just swapping a few parts here and there, thats good to hear! anything else i should be aware of diving into this?

I stuffed a 93 motor and head into my 2000 with distributorless ignition. All I had to do was change sensors. I also had to fab up some brackets to bolt my coil pack to but that doesnt pertain to your setup.

I forget if you are going to need to use your original flex plate or not. Compare part numbers on rockauto for a 91 and a 96 flex plate, if they are the same you can leave that alone.

DO NOT "bonehead" the torque converter into the transmission with it bolted to the flexplate already - stick it in the transmission (or just unbolt the old one from the flexplate before pulling the engine, then make sure it's properly seated) and then bolt it to the flexplate after you have bolted the engine and bellhousing together.

EDIT: Rob already covered flex plates etc, guess you can leave that alone.

Back